Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Little white bugs

Posted by smarks (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 24, 06 at 15:59

I noticed that one of my plants has very little white bugs all over most of the bottom leaves. I think they are bugs even though they are tiny and I don't see them move. I did notice that they were on a few leaves but spread to most of the plant. Did anyone have a similar paroblem and how do you get rid of them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Little white bugs

It sounds like White Fly. I use Neem Oil and it seems to work.
You just mix a couple of table spoons with water in a spray bottle and spray as needed, maybe every couple of weeks, again if needed.
Good luck!

o

With white fly, you will see white pupae that don't move, about 1 millimeter long, along with barely visible flyspecks.

As they mature, you will see clouds of white flies when the leaves are disturbed.

If you hit the underside of the leaves with a strong spray of water every day, that will provide decent control.

If you want to spray less often, insecticidal soap, Neem oil, or horticultural oil will do the trick.

o

It is probably white fly but there are other little white bugs that don't move. Do they look like the pictures on the link below?

Here is a link that might be useful: White fly image search

o

The more I read about the White Flys, the more I think it is not them. The tiny white spots are on the tops of the leaves only and do not move when sprayed with water. I tried shaking and spraying the leaves and they do not move. They are as so small and appear to be stuck to the leave. I cannot make out any distinctive marks because thay are so small. They also do not appear to be eating the plant but I have noticed that they are also attached to some of the branches in this vine like plant that I have. I am at a loss for what they are and how to treat them.

o

Neem or insecticidal soap ought to kill any bug. Maybe you've got some kind of scale.

o

What is the infected plant?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here