Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden help for sump pump drainage

Posted by duffiecat (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 17:04

Hi everyone,

My sump pump has been discharging water very often this summer and its starting to cause issues. Right now, it drains into my landscaped area which doesn't have many plants but is filled with mulch. Raised about 8 inches from the lawn with flat rocks surrounding.

The water is seeping out from under the rocks and causing the lawn there to be very muddy. I can't recall it happening before in the years I have lived here (Cherry Hill).

Can you please offer suggestions on plants I can place there to absorb the moisture or perhaps putting rocks there? It looks like a mess. :-( Or if you can suggest landscape companies which specialize in drainage solutions.

On a side note, is anyone's sump pump working a lot these days even though we haven't had rain in a week?

Thanks - I sincerely appreciate any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden help for sump pump drainage

Hey there,
I think the problem is you are discharging the water into a raised area. Ideally, it would be going into a sunken area. The best thing would be to set up a rain garden to catch excess water from landscape drainage or your sump pump. Rain gardens can be very beautiful. The best thing is to use native plants. They have to be adapted to intermittent flooding. Here are some links that might help.

http://www.water.rutgers.edu/Rain_Gardens/RGWebsite/raingardens.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Plant Society Rain Garden

o
RE: Garden help for sump pump drainage

dr.liz's suggestion, above, sounds right. Rain gardens can be beautiful and fairly low-maintenance, and the native plants will be a boon to the butterflies and birds in your area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here