novice31m

'I live in south Jersey.......

novice31m
19 years ago

What zone am I in?

Comments (25)

• jerseyjohn
    19 years ago

Forget where I got it from, but if you are reasonably close to the ocean, and south of, say Toms River, you are in Zone 7.

And if somebody proves me wrong on this, I'm still stickin' to it !

John

• flowersandthings
    19 years ago

Here's map of the northeast...... coastal and extreme sourhtern new jersey are zone 7 all others are zone 6.......
    http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-ne1.html

Here is a link that might be useful: ........

• novice31m
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thanks guy`s.

• steve_nj
    19 years ago

Get a min/max thermometer and place in the open about 5' off the ground. Over a period of a few years, you'll get an idea of your minimums. Keep in mind that siting plants out of the NW wind, good soil drainage, and a winter mulch are worth at least half a zone. Most zone 7 plants (and even a few zone 8) do well in South Jersey with good siting.

• debnj
    19 years ago

I'm in Bayville & I am zone 7A.

• GardenMom5
    19 years ago

Hey, Ocean County gardeners! So glad to find some. Being we are at this moment waiting for this monster snow storm, all I can think about is starting my seeds for this year's garden. I think I may start onion seeds today, along with some vinca. I have visited several sites (including Rutgers Univ) and decided the last frost date for me is around April 10-15th. The website, Garden Guides, is great for figuring out when to start vege seeds, and use that as a general guide. DH thinks I am crazy, but just love to start everything I can from seed. Had him build me a light stand last year, and just a few days ago I found a 6'x9' "greenhouse" (more like a big plastic tent) in Cost Cutters for only $69.95.....being I only need it to harden off plants in spring, then it can be cleaned and put away, I thought it a great deal! Anyone else out there desperite for spring?!

Deb
    Barnegat

• JArnold
    19 years ago

Ocean County's last hard freeze is about April 15th; frost can still occur between May 15th to 30th. Start you peppers indoors mid February and tomatoes about March 1st. Use a growing light and keep the light 4 to 6 inches above the plants. Keep the light on for 14 hours a day to make the plants think it is summer.

• dragonfly_dance
    19 years ago

I am in Egg Harbor TWP, 15 min from Atlantic City. I am Zone 7b, but I think on the other side of Mays Landing it changes to Zone 6. I have been reading about winter sowing on the WS forum, and I wanna give it a try, as soon as the snow melts I will be at the store to get soil. I have been saving containers, and my seeds are in the fridge. I harvested seeds for the first time last year.

• MLcom
    19 years ago

hi ya dragon dance, my garden is in Estelle Manor and felt sure we were in zone 6, but 7 sounds good :). Cant wait to start up garden this year. What goodies did you havest this year in seeds? Some thing I really need to learn. Always figure would have cross polination with tomatoes and not the same as what I grew.

• Kathy_Z6_NJ
    19 years ago

Hi all. I'm in Bayville, but always thought I was in zone 6. Real happy to learn it may be zone 7! I'm very close to the bay, so I guess that qualifies as reasonably close to the ocean!
    I'm dying to get something growing and driving my family nuts with the various seed catalogs, seed-starting mixes and all the assorted stuff I collect to get the seeds going~("Don't throw those plastic containers away!! I need them for my plants!")
    This nice weather isn't helping the madness any either! Nice as it's been, the garden is still snow-covered. Hopefully we won't get any more of that white stuff!
    Happy Gardening all!

• ellenh
    19 years ago

I used to live in Toms River and it was definitely zone 7. Now I live in the Flemington Area and it's definitely zone 6b. There is a big difference between the two areas. My parents live in Lakewood and their flowers start blooming 2-4 weeks before mine (they always remind me of this!)

Ellen

• newbirdman
    19 years ago

Yep Kathy , I'm in Beachwood and were zone 7 . Rick

• GardenMom5
    19 years ago

Kathy, I know what it is to drive the family nuts. The seed catalogus start coming around the holidays (husband starts rolling eyes then), and by the end of January I start some seed (probably too early), and have a calender written up about which plant gets started when. I had him build me a light stand last year and it is a big help, that and the fact that I have a huge south facing window in my bedroom - yes the hubby has to share the room with the seedlings. Must be the mother in me, I have to start virtually everything I can from seed, but when those plants bloom or produce, it is such a wonderful feeling of accomplishment

Deb
    Barnegat

• dragonfly_dance
    19 years ago

Howdy MLcom,

I am not sure you may be Z6, depends on how close you are to the coast. My brother lives in Dorothy and I know he gets it significantly colder then we do here, I think he's Z6. I have been watching winter temps for years and rarely do we go below
    0 F. In fact, last few weeks geep freeze out lowest was 4 F. Unfortunately is was enough to kill my to little fish, I think coz of the longevity of the freeze. They had survived the last two freezes, but this was too much for them. I will get two more and next year not take a chance and bring them in.

I have sown my winter seeds, except those I am waiting for in the mail all natives. I havent see any come up yet, but I am patient.
    Peace

raven

• bachy313
    17 years ago

Hi - I'm from Bayville, NJ. Wondering if anyone knows when I can fill one of those plastic greenhouses (from Costcutters - not heated) with seedlings.
    Millie

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Hi Millie
    Congratulations on your new greenhouse. May I suggest you start your own thread? You will have a better chance for someone to see your question plus the original poster will probably be emailed all the answers to your question.

• royy
    17 years ago

Millie, I put a bunch of seeds out on my patio around my pool about the 2nd week in Feb. All are perennials, and all are sprouting already. You can surely start seeds in your greenhouse. I would make sure it gets a lot of sun, and make sure you leave a little opening for ventilation.

I see a bunch of you are from Bayville. I am too. We are zone 7 here too.

• bachy313
    17 years ago

loretta thanks for the info - have no idea how to start new thread.

royy - most of the seeds are now good size seedlings. used a heat mat and plant grow bulbs in a lowes lighting setup. Im worried about night temps going too low. how low can the seedlings actually take (35 degrees??)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

bachy313, go back to the main "Gardening in New Jersey" page and scroll down to the bottom to the section "Post a Message to the Forum". That is how start a new thread.

I see GardenWeb has added a USDA zone finder by zip code, see link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW ZIP Code to USDA Zone Finder

• royy
    17 years ago

Millie, I have had sprouts for over a month now. We have had days in the teens and the sprouts survived. I don't know how, but they do. I guess the containers helps block winds. Every container I have sowed sprouted. This is my first year doing winter sowing. I can't believe it works, but it does. Give it a shot next year. I sowed my seeds in early to mid Feb. I just put out some summer annuals last week. We will see how they do.

Roy

• MLcom
    17 years ago

I have tried growing seeds in milk jugs for a few years not and wow is all I can say. I put them out starting in Feb and march with the annuals in april. I think my last frost date is after may 8th here and seen it as late as may 18 hit us. Normally go by the Iris in my yard as a indicator when to plant out the tomato seedlings with out protection.

Got a new fertilizer producer last year and my grass is greening up from the chickens.

My tomato seedlings are not up yet but expect them soon.

ML

• f150dude
    16 years ago

I am in Winslow Township/Hammonton... it's zone 7b

• siameseifyouplease
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info, f150dude. I'm in the Waterford Twp. area and didn't know my zone. I guess it's 7b. Your message is from 2007, and I'm new, so if anyone who's from my area knows what kind of soil I have, please let me know. I've planted flowers but they don't survive. I have both oak and pine trees on the property. Sandy soil? I know nothing about gardening so it's an uphill climb. What should I mix with the soil this spring?

• tinylady
    15 years ago

I am in Williamstown and I am zone 6b.

• mindysuewho
    15 years ago

I'm in Wenonah and sure than I'm in 6B. Nothing hardy to Zone 7 ever makes it in my yard.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus