Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerseygirl07603

cicadas are back!!

I hate, hate, hate the sound of these things. Don't know why, but I just can't stand them. Can anyone tell me if they are beneficial? Maybe I could tolerate them if I knew they were eating the "bad" bugs.

Comments (6)

• leigh711
    18 years ago

I like their night time music... it's like being in a jungle

• ladychroe
    18 years ago

I have so many summertime memories that have the backdrop of the cicada's song. I can't imagine someone hating the sound that brings to mind barbecues, picnics, soccer games and hammocks, and gorgeous summer afternoons.

They won't hurt you or your plants - you probably won't see a live one b/c they hang out in the treetops. They aren't predatory, but they do kill off the weak branches of deciduous trees, keeping the trees healthy. And did you know they live 17 years?! Most of which they spend underground as larvae.

They really are interesting creatures. Check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cicada Faq

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

I love the sound. It's very nostalgic for me too. It sounds like a summer vacation day, spent outside, swimming.

• popsicle_toe
    18 years ago

Back when before I knew their names, I called it my summer sound. I also love their sound and always identify them with summer. To me, it's not summer until I hear their sound from the trees :)

• mucknmire
    18 years ago

There are many different broods of cicadas each maturing a varying number of years. The 17 year cicadas matured last year in vast numbers and caused a huge annoying din in places they emerged. The ones this year are different and not nearly so huge in numbers. My memory is poor but I seem to remember that some broods mature in 2 or 3 years and others 11, 13 and 17 years. I rather like the sound and wait for it in the summertime like I wait for fireflies and japanese beetles tho not with any fondness for the latter-thank goodness they seem to be on the wane.

• mucknmire
    18 years ago

There's even a reference of cicadas in the "Iliad" translation by Fagles which I happened to be reading now.

"...but they were eloquent speakers still, clear as cicadas settled on treetops, lifting their voices through the forest, rising softly, falling, dying away..." "...they murmured one to another, gentle, winged words:..."

So, think of them as ancient greek kings and warriors speaking to you from the past and perhaps you'll change your mind about hating the sound of them.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting