Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where are the butterflies and bees?

Posted by karen64 6b (foxbuild@aol.com) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 19:55

I added a butterfly garden last year - really looks great this year. My only regulars are Japanese beetles. I put out one of those yellow and green bag traps to alleviate. But where are all the cool garden insects this year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where are the butterflies and bees?

I haven't seen a Japanese Beetle in over 15 years (thank goodness). I, too, planted a butterfly/hummingbird garden and put up a hummingbird feeder but haven't seen either. Yet. Still hoping.

o

I'm in Mercer County. Previous years plenty of humming birds and such. Always the Japanese beetles but they seem early this year.

o

Hardly any to no butterflies here too. Maybe the hard winter? I'm missing a lot of regulars. Still, I have a gross amount of Asiatic Garden Beetles. At least I have seen the Golden Tortoise Beetle on my morning glories and green bees on the echinacea.

o

There are some butterflies in my garden. Just some wild flowers. I have tons of bees buzzing on my Kabocha pumpkins, so many of them. So I do not have to worry about pollination.

I've also destroyed two wasp nests. I do not know if they are yellow jackets. But they are yellow. They are awful bad.

o

I planted scarlet runner bean on my deck in several big pots. I get one or two hummingbirds all day long, from early morning to twilight. I harvest the beans for my dogs, who love them.

I also have bees all day long, all kinds, (honey bees too) and bumble bees that are fat and velvety. I haven't seen bumble bees like that since I was a kid.

I think the birds like the baby beans too. I had a cardinal yesterday that looked like he was on steroids, so fat and red. All this from a little humble bean with pretty red flowers.

It's not too late to start some now. Plant it near a window, it's fascinating to watch the activity. Good luck. The bees need all the support we can give them.

o

Ended up with plenty of bees and a rising honey bee population too. A few butterflies showed up eventually but not the usual numbers or variety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here