Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mucknmire

Large blueberry crop this year

mucknmire
18 years ago

Our blueberries are putting out a lot of berries this year. And they're bigger than usual too. I wonder if it's because of the prolonged cold weather we had this spring? Anyone else notice this?

Comments (5)

• njtea
    18 years ago

Mine, too! What I've not understood is why the birds aren't getting them. I cover the largest bush which produces enough berries for me, but leave smaller bushes uncovered for the birds who have yet to touch the berries. Finders keepers, looser weepers.

At a local garden center yesterday, I saw one person purchase four bushes laden with berries. The owner told me this was the first year he's sold out of his blueberries and ascribed it to the number of berries on the bush.

• mucknmire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

NJTea,
    I read somewhere that if you have a mulberry tree in your neighborhood the birds won't eat your berries-favoring the mulberry. We have several in an undeveloped area beyond our back yard and the birds don't even touch the serviceberries which they are proported to favor. I've picked enough service berries for about a dozen pies this year even when we have flocks of blackbirds and starlings descending on our birdfeeders. It also helps to have a resident mocking bird to protect your trees/bushes. He eats a few but assiduously patrols the yard attacking birds who have the nerve to steal a berry or two. Cheap payment for a guard service!

• njtea
    18 years ago

I do have a white mulberry tree, but because it's in the woods, it doesn't produce well. The squirrels get the few fruits it does produce and get them well before they ripen.

Now that you mention it, though, I do note that a serviceberry, close to the blueberries, has not been touched. I'll have to take a look at the huge old serviceberry down by the road to see if those berries have been eaten.

• flowersandthings
    18 years ago

Lucky you. I tried growing bluberries and they failed abysmally. Strange since this is the "blueberry" state. I believe on average we're the largest blueberry producer in the world. :)

• mucknmire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

flowersandthings,
    The first two blueberry bushes I grew did very poorly. I thought as you did that since we are one of the largest producers of blueberries the plants would grow well anywhere in the state. I started giving them an acid fertilizer and noticed some improvement but very little. All of a sudden after about 3 years one started growing very well. We moved and I transplanted that bush and after 4 years of being in a non-growing state it started to put out more new growth and berries. The other one never got started.

The soil has to be very acid to grow blueberries well . After adding tons of peat moss most of my 15 bushes are doing well but some still seem to be in a suspended state. I've also found that the blueberries are heavy feeders and adding fertilizer has helped the bushes grow.

I seem to have read somewhere that Michigan was the top grower of blueberries with NJ second or third. Apparently blueberries grow well in Michigan because they have a lot of acid peat bogs.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional