Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mucknmire

Cheap plants!

mucknmire
17 years ago

Our Sourwood (oxydenron) tree died last month and I wanted to replace it with another sweet bay magnolia (M. virginiana). I previously saw some at a Lowe's so we went there the other day and many of the trees were on sale for 75% off! We bought 2 magnolias but when I saw the price was only $8.50 each, I picked up the last one too. We then went to HomeDepot and their sweetbay mags were also on sale but only half price at $17.99 but the trees were much better looking with more foilage, didn't buy one tho. There was a lone blue atlas cedar so we bought it for 1/3 off. Several of the other plants were also on sale so I picked up two Japanese Hakone grass for shady areas for 1/3 off at $6.69 each. I saw many Japanese maples for sale but I had to pass as we already have a jungle and had most of the varieties they had in stock.

Check out your local big box stores they may have equally good sales. This is a great time to buy your plants. And fall is actually a better time to plant because the plants are not so stressed by the burning sun.

Comments (11)

• actuary97
    17 years ago

At HD in Parsippany trees are 66% of and shrubs are 33% Off.

Regards

Dave

• marge_nj
    17 years ago

I have been looking for hakone grass. What HP? I will go tomorrow!

Thanks, Marge

• Annie_nj
    17 years ago

Just save your receipts! The big box mortality rate usually runs about 50%.

• mucknmire
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marge, Sorry to be so late with the reply but had trouble with the isp. The HomeDepot in Hamilton, NJ. The grass is a golden yellow green. Very beautiful.

Annie, I've had better luck than 50% but the mortality rate is fairly high. I make sure the trees and plants are watered daily if needed and that seems to do the trick.

• birdgardner
    17 years ago

Mucknmire - which Lowe's and HD do you go to?

I've never seen magnolia at the West Windsor ones.

• mucknmire
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi birdgardner,

The magnolias were available at the Hamilton (Washington township?) HD and Lowe's. I think they may still be available at the HD because they had at least 6 for sale. Nothing left at the Hamilton Lowe's as I bought them out ;) You're right about not seeing them at the WW stores.

I would call before I trek out there but you may not get an answer because the clerks seem pretty clueless about plants.

If you live close to Ewing, the Ash's Farm has their %50 off sale starting today, Aug. 18. Dibs on the dwarf nandina.

• njtea
    17 years ago

Depends on what mean by "cheap" but last week I got a simply gorgeous and very healthy 5' tall (from ground up) pink clethra for $20 from Valley Brook in Lebanon.

Many of their shrubs were 50% off and looked like they just recently been shipped in - they were not the season's untended leftovers.

• mucknmire
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, njtea. Your clethra was a bargain. We bought a similar size pink clethra for about $30 about 4 years ago.

The Ash's flower farm I mentioned previously is also bringing in new stock as well as trying to sell their old stuff. There's no refund if your plant dies so you have to determine if the plant will survive the transplanting. I guess the growers are trying to get rid of their stock in the late season so a lot of the nurseries are holding 50% off sales. Late summer or early autumn is actually a really good time to plant because the temperatures are cooler so the sun doesn't ravage the plants so much ...but we sure need rain. We bought two dwarf nandinas for $20 each.

We did go to the HD in Hamilton but most of their sales items were sold including the sweet bay magnolias. Slim pickings.

• ladychroe
    17 years ago

Do woody shrubs and trees reliably live when planted in the fall?

• njtea
    17 years ago

Fall is the best time to plant because the plants can focus on growing roots rather than putting out leaves. Just as with spring planting, you must make certain that the shrubs/trees get sufficient water.

• mucknmire
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ladychroe, I agree with njtea. All the plants we planted in fall survived while several planted in spring died. You don't have the stresses of hot sun and drying out so much in fall.