Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I am a novice gradner and need help please

Posted by mhazelton NJ (zone 7) (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 08 at 10:47

Hi everyone:

I am a firt time home owner and I love to make my yard look nice. I have some flowers (petunias) planted now,and they are doing well, but I do not have a green thumb. I am looking for hearty flowers that do not mind sun. I espcially want something that is full and will spread. I have a nice size bed in front of my house windows in the front yard. I would like to also plant some bulbs now for the fall. Is it too late? what types are good for direct sun? Also, I was wondering id anyone had any idea whatt he name of those tall grasses people plant (kind of wispy looking).

Thank you all so much for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I am a novice gradner and need help please

For perennials try Sedum, Yarrow, Purple Coneflower, Black eye susans, Daylillies, Asian lillies, gayfeather, columbines, Tall Bearded Iris, Creeping Phlox. Those are some. remember to give them space because they all spread. All of these guys are heardy and drought tolerant.
Don't forget to plant Rosemary, Common Thyme, Lavender, Common Sage. Great herbs to have for cooking except for Lavender of course. You can use that for other things. For annuals check the labels and see what you like.
Ornamental grasses, just google it and see what you like. I have some and they grow well with little work.

Good luck.

o
RE: I am a novice gradner and need help please

As far as the bulbs go, most of them love direct sun. I usually plant mine anywhere from the end of August to the end of October.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here