Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loris_gw

Another plant sale

loris
16 years ago

My SIL mentioned to me yesterday that Bowman's Wildflower preserve is having their native plant sale September 15 and 16th. New Hope PA is closer to me than I would have thought, and I'm estimating it's about an hour away from me here in Union county.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calendar of event's for Bowman's

Comments (3)

• loris
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Bowman's sale actually started yesterday (sorry for my mistake about that), and continues on. I ended up going yesterday, and was very happy with it. I ended up going and among other things, ended up finding 3 plants I've had trouble finding elsewhere.

• Birdsong72
    16 years ago

What plants were you able to purchase Loris? Just curious as there wasn't a "sale list" on thier Webpage.

The sale was in my 'radar', Bowman's is beautiful, but it was a bit of a ride (from the Shore) for this writer. Especially with yesterday's heat.

Pricing? Gallon or quart pots? 3 for $10? $15?

• loris
    Original Author
    16 years ago

birdsong72,

I'm linking to the spring plant sale's catalogue. I didn't compare the prices, but in terms of which plants, I'd guess they're about 90% the same. The one plant listed there, they didn't have this time that I looked for, was Filipendula rubra (Queen of the prairie).

I found 3 plants there I've been having trouble finding near me, 2 of which looked slightly beat up in terms of foliage, but worth it to me. One was the most expensive plant I bought, which was a $20 Sambucus canadensis (American elderberry). I think the pot is 1' deep (is that a gallon?), and tall enough that I had to rearrange things to keep it from blocking my rear view window on the drive home. The spring catalog said the most expensive plants were $75. There were some fairly large trees and shrubs, but many were fairly small. The next most expensive plant I bought, was a $15 Carpinus caroliana (American hornbean), with foliage which also looked a bit beat up, but I wanted the larger plant, and only had a choice of 2 (maybe there had been more right at the opening). I think the smaller ones were $8 and actually looked better. The 3rd plant I've had trouble getting looked very nice. It was Paxistima Canbyii (Camby Paxistima, Rat-stripper) which isn't a NJ native, but my next look for ground covers to replace English ivy substitute. That was a happy surprise for me, since it hadn't been listed in the spring listings.

I also bought Amsonia tabernaemontana (blue star), Viburnum nudum (possumhaw), Clethra alnifolia 'Hummingbird', Lobelia cardinalis (red cardinal flower) and a few Matteuccia struthiopteris (ostrich fern). I think the Clethra, Viburnum, and Carpinus were all in pots about 6" deep. Most of the perennials were fairly good sizes, and the spring plant list says herbaceous plants range from $4 - $12.

I hadn't realized at first that there's a holding area where you can put down what you've picked so far--smart on their part since I ended up buying twice as much that way.

Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: Bowman's Wildflower Preserve spring plant sale catalogue

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?