Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stilt grass

Posted by njtea NJ Z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 12, 06 at 12:01

In the spring, I had some success in applying a pre-emergent to control the stilt grass, although it worked only in the drier areas of my property. Any place where there are underground springs and the ground stays wet, it did not work.

Is it safe to cut down the stilt grass as close to the ground as possible at this time, i.e., if I cut it now, will it still be able to form seed heads?

I have also had success in applying very dilute Roundup to the grass. It seems to have stopped the growth and yet not harmed the perennial grasses/plants in the areas where I sprayed. My hope here was to just take enough "starch" out of the stilt grass so that it can't form seeds. The area that I want to cut now is in my swamp and I don't want to spray any dilution of Roundup in there.

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stilt grass

Get a steel rake and pull. It comes up easily. Even small pieces will go to seed.

o

Ain't gonna rake an acre of the darned stuff, Steve! I'll just wait until the seed heads start to form and hope the weather is conducive to getting out there with my weed-whacker.

o

You probably read this already from Uconn or one of the many other sites:

"For larger stands, a more effective method is to cut the plants in late summer using a mower or weed whacker. Being an annual, Japanese stiltgrass cut late in the season will die back and not produce new shoots. Seeds remain viable in the soil for at least three years and germinate readily when the soil is disturbed. Annual monitoring is suggested for at least seven years to exhaust the seed bank"

An acre is a lot of space. Not an easy job and it probably won't be a one shot deal.

If you read on...for chemical controls, only RodeoTM is recommended near wetlands by Uconn.

How are you feeling, BTW?

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Stilt Grass @ Uconn

o

Thanks, Loretta. I think the last week in August should be about the right time to cut it back. I know I missed it last year, but there were many reasons for that.

I only use the Roundup in non-wetlands areas, where I have the stilt grass under pretty good control. My wet areas are another story altogether. I've never seen Rodeo offered anyplace and something tells me that it's probably very expensive.

I am feeling better than I have felt in literally YEARS. Thanks for asking.

o

Is it time to cut the japanese stiltgrass in NJ? Should I apply Roundup after it's cut?

Any success stories out there controlling this evil weed?

o

If you cut the stems back far enough, there should be no need to use Roundup.

I've had limited success in controlling it but have found that it take several years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here