Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crape myrtles: mail order websites

Posted by bobby1973 6 (robertchacko@msn.com) on
Thu, Aug 23, 07 at 12:55

Hi,

Do any of you fellow NJ gardeners have any experience ordering Crape Myrtle Trees online via mail order websites? I'm yearning to plant a Crape Myrtle tree this Fall on the southeast corner of my house, but none of the garden centers in my area have any Crapes in stock. I found a mail order company in North Carolina called 'FAST GROWING TREES NURSERY' that has a bunch of Crapes in stock and they assured me that their Crapes will acclimate just fine in my zone(6). I know this is right at the cut-off point where Crape Myrtles are considered to hardy. Do you think I'm safe planting Crapes in my zone? Somone told me that planting Crapes anywhere north of Newark is a NO-NO. I just thought I'd throw this message on the forum and see what others have to say. Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks!
Bobby~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crape myrtles: mail order websites

I live in Bergen county, NJ and I see Crape myrtles blooming their heads off now all over the county. They're not little ones either; they've been in the ground a while. Personally, I have never had a problem overwintering them in the central Bergen county area. PS. A number of years ago I had ordered two Crape Myrtles from a mail-order source, it grew massively on the south side of my house (planted way too close), didn't realize that they wanted to be trees. Two years ago, I purchased two other crapes from Home Depot (in Lodi, NJ)--"Zuni" variety. So they are definitely sold and grown throughout North Jersey. I don't know though if you would be able to purchase them locally at this time of year (most are probably sold out by late Spring). Where in NJ are you??

o

Hi, thanks for your quick response! I'm in Nutley, which is in Essex County. I'm located south of Bergen County. I'm next to towns like Bloomfield, Passaic, Clifton.

You're definitley right about the NJ garden centers being selling out their Crape Myrtle inventory by Spring. I just like the Fall for planting trees. And I really don't feel like waiting around till next spring:) I often visit my brother in Virginia, and the garden centers down there still have a ton of Crapes - so that's a possibility for me to drive down there and pick one up and haul it back up here. I'm just wondering whether the tree will transfer better to my soil if I purchase the tree locally from NJ. Do you think this matters? Thanks for your help!
Bobby~

o

Well, putting them in the ground now should not be a problem. As you know they are deciduous; they tend to hold on to their leaves for a while (well into October and November). One thing I didn't realize when I first started growing them was how BEAUTIFULLY their leaves color in the fall (reds, oranges, yellows--all on the same plant). When I had them planted in front of my house (moved locally recently), I would prune them very heavily in the late winter (planted too too close to the house). They recuperate very well from heavy pruning. Regarding your question about buying in Virginia--I don't know how much various cultivars differ in hardiness. You might what to do a little research as to varieties that are relatively cold hardy. Our zone is rated as either 6B or 7a depending on the zone map you are looking at and when it was issued (National Arbor Society undated my zone from 6B to a 7 not long ago). I believe that most all varieties should be hardy for us. They like summer heat so I have located them adjacent to walls or the house, etc. Most people don't seem to plant in the fall and you're right, chances are crapes will not be available locally in the fall. Fall planting though does have a few advantages. I have read that tree and shrub roots grow well into the fall as long as the ground isn't frozen (usually some time in January for us--if then). Oh yes, almost forgot. There are big differences among the varieties for their ultimate SIZE! I have seen various named cultivars listed with their ultimate sizes specified (sorry, I don't remember site). The cultivar you select depends on whether you want a tree, small tree, large bush, small...etc. I can't really think of any problems with them. I even transplanted mine from their old home (in ground) to a pot back into the ground of the new place. Did this in middle of summer and they are growing like crazy in new position. Good luck!

o

• Posted by mooch91 central NJ - zone 6 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 23, 07 at 19:52

Lowes in Piscataway, NJ had a number of different varieties, including a particularly small pot, available last week. Had to be 25-30 plants. Good luck.

o

There are plenty of CM's around here. No need to mail order. Besides the big box stores, have you tried Fairfield Gardens - Fairfield, Max is Back - Butler, Condurso's - Montville, Strawberry Blossom - Wayne, Gro-Rite - Lincoln Park?
Rare Find Nursery in Jackson has it in their catalog.
If you can't find one now, why not just wait until spring? They are around for sure and probably hardier varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rare Find Nursery

o

LOWES! wow, i wouldn't have even thought of them:)
I'll definitely give them a call and see what's up. By any chance 'loretta' do you recall if the Crapes at Lowes were shrubs or trees? And thank you so much for your feedback!

Bobby~

o

'loretta' i did by the way check out 2 of the nurseries you mentioned. fairfield garden center is definitely a nice nursery, but they're all out of crapes. i visited strawberry blossom in wayne a few days ago for my first time, and i was rather disappointed - i thought they had a real lame inventory (certainly no crapes to be found, except for one of their own which was planted in the ground and was a real gem:) but today i'll definitely give those other nurseries you mentioned a phone call. thanks!
bobby~

o

Not to take credit but mooch91 is the one who saw them at Lowes. As far as Strawberry Blossom, don't count them out for next year. They aren't a huge nursery but they started their clearance sales in July. Some plants were down to 99 cents.
Condurso's in Montville is a good bet. They supply a lot of landscapers and are usually well stocked. Don't expect markdowns from them though.
If you want to take a ride, Ambleside Gardens in Hillsborough is very nice. Look them up in the posts I've linked to below.
There are a few Bergen County nurseries but I never remember their names. There is Eiseles Nursery in Paramus. There is a large nursery in Oakland off 202, always forget the name but it isn't far from their monument. There are more.

Here is a link that might be useful: NJ nursery posts

o

I would strongly suggest that you contact Corrado's (the nursery division; not the fruit/foods division) and ask them to check to see if they carry them. Sometimes it is difficult to communicate with them (especially by phone) but they have quite a nice selection. Personally, I would go myself because I wouldn't trust the information conveyed by some of the workers. I have seen quite a few hardy and non-hardy plants carried by them that other nurseries don't have available ("exotics"). I've bought Southern Magnolias, figs, citrus trees, and camelias from them in the past. Both fruit and nursery division are in Clifton.

o

Corrado's in clifton is indeed a great store! i buy from them often - but unfortunately no crapes:(

but the good news today is that i finally have 2 monster size crape myrtle TREES sitting in my pickup truck. i did some digging online this morning and just for the heck of it started calling garden centers in northern delware. i immediately found one nursery that not only said they have a ton of crapes but that they just began a $1 SALE for only today thru sunday. you buy any shrub or tree and get a 2nd one of the same variety for only $1. i walked out of there with two 8ft. trees for only $150. you just can't go wrong with that! yeah sure i had to drive 2hours each way, but it was totally worth it:) hell, worst case scenario, even if both trees die on me next spring, i wouldn't even be upset (well maybe just a little...)

if any of your are interested, the store's name is: 'Countryside Nursery & Garden Center' in Newark, Delaware. their phone number is: 302-832-1320

thanks to all of you out there for your wonderful advice!
bobby~

o

Cedar Grove Garden Center on Rt. 23 (Pompton Ave) had a good selection two weeks ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedar Grove Garden Center

o

Are there an parks or open areas that you've seen crape myrtle trees planted in NJ? I know someone said they see them all over Bergen county but does that mean they are planted on peoples property or can they also be found in a park? A park or arboretum's name would be helpful. Tx

o

I see them in people's yards (driving by), don't know of any particular public grounds for their display. I just bought two today from Lowe's in Paramus (Sioux and Hopi--they also had Dynamite Reds but I already have them and prefer the lavender ones anyway). HD's in the area usually carry them as well--currently looking for Zuni as one of my Zunis seems to have succumbed to last winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here