Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrzgurl

Katydid sighting

jrzgurl
18 years ago

My son told me to come look at this bug that looks like a leaf, he's never saw one. I told him it was a katydid. Then we looked it up on the net. Haven't seen one myself in years!

Comments (4)

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

We saw one yesterday too. A sparrow flew down from a tree, dropped it and flew back up again as if it was evicted. Perhaps he was a noisy neighbor.

• mulchwoman
    18 years ago

Hi
    We have them here, too. Between the cicadas and the katydids, the nights are filled with sound. It's good to hear natural sounds.
    Pat

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago

My neighbood is deafening, overwhelming, just plainly scary as it sounds like one of those 50's B Movies of the early Atomic age with giant Insects about to appear out of the desert...... Each & every August like clockwork. ......I wouldn't have it any other way.

You're so so right Pat. It's great to be 'smacked right in the sensories' with these critters on any given summer evening.

My neighbor stopped by a week or so ago and showed me a ciciada in his/her new skin. The wings were translucent, having just unfurling themselves with brilliant blue-green skeins streaking across the wing area.

Neat stuff.

• rburlock1_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have several Katydid's eating away at my garden, and I must say that they are beautiful insects. I remember listening to them when I was a kid, but I do not remember ever seeing one. Are they good insects or bad?

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction