Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone layer roses?

Posted by karen64 6b (foxbuild@aol.com) on
Thu, Aug 24, 06 at 14:14

Rose forum has been a bit quiet. I have rooted roses over the years and to date my best method has been baggie method only in the fall. One method I had not tried was pulling a branch down while still on the bush and knicking it slightly, applying root hormone and topping with soil and a brick. Can anyone share success with this method? Also, would this not allow me to try the method at any particular time rather than being limited to fall or is there a best time for layering? I have been experimenting over the last week hoping I could get a jump start on new roses before the fall. Different methods of rooting roses seem to work differently in different areas and from experience only fall baggie method had worked for me in NJ. Will I have success with rooting this way right now? Does it take as long as the baggie method would take? shorter or longer? thanks for sharing. Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone layer roses?

I have not tried it, but I have heard it works better with some classes that root easily anyway, than others. I would suspect that this works better while the ground is warm. So, if you wanted to experiment, try now.

I have had modest success using yogurt cups with soda bottles as covers, none with the baggie method. "Modest" only because I wasn't very diligent about paying attention to the cups. If I kept up with the misting, I would have a much higher rate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Layering For Easy Propagation

o
RE: Anyone layer roses?

New Dawn has layered itself without me trying. The roses that I tried to layer didn't take but I never used rooting hormone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here