Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

Is it Too Late to Plant Beans?

bonechickchris
14 years ago

I usually get my beans in earlier, but do you think there is enough time plant some now?

Is anyone else sowing any veggie now? Wondering if I can still sow some root crops.

Christy

Comments (3)

• agardenstateof_mind
    14 years ago

Look at the maturity date on your seed package and do the math. If the beans will mature in 60 days, they should be ready around Oct. 22 if you plant them tomorrow. If your average first frost date is after that, or you can protect them from frost, then it is safe to plant.

Root crops are a bit safer from frost than above-ground crops, since they're protected by the soil.

Furthermore, the flavor of some crops, like those in the cabbage family, is actually improved by a chill or light frost.

Pegi Ballister-Howells, in her book Month-by-Month Gardening in New Jersey, recommends the following be planted in August & September

August:
    beets, leafy greens, lettuces, Chinese cabbage - all direct seeded
    broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower - all transplants

September:
    beets, leafy greens, lettuces, Chinese cabbage, radishes, turnips - all direct seeded
    broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower - all transplants

In my area (coastal Monmouth County) average first frost date is October 31.

I'd say go for it. Hope this helps.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the help!

I am in Coastal Ocean. I have a special bean given to me from a lady whose family brought it here from Italy a long time ago. Unfortunately, her family had to move unexpectedly, and it left her with very little of the beans left.
    She gave me 2 beans. And on top of that, only one germinated. So, I have that one lonely bean plant harvested, but I only have about 15-20 beans from this one plant, so I dont want to grow them and lose them. BUt I would really like to get them planted now so I can atleast have enough to grow in the spring to actually eat.
    So anyway, I do not really know how long the beans will take.
    I am very interested in the book that you mentioned. Is it a book just for NJ? Could you give me more info on it?
    Thanks! Christy

• agardenstateof_mind
    14 years ago

It's nice to have plants with a special meaning. I think all the beans I've seen have been about 60-65 days to maturity, so I would plant a few now for a late-season crop this year; save the rest to plant next spring - they should be fine, just be sure they are completely dry and free of any mold or mildew, then pack them up, label them, and keep them in a cool, dark place until it is time to plant in spring (probably around mid-May). Seeds are usually sown at a depth equal to twice their largest dimension, so if these are 1/2" long, you would plant 1" deep.

If you should get an early frost, a floating row cover, or even a tarp or old sheet or blanket should provide enough protection. (Just be sure to take it off in the daytime.)

Yes, Pegi's book is just for NJ gardening. The title is "Month-By-Month Gardening in New Jersey" and it is published by Cool Springs Press. Check your local library, they may have a copy. We have a copy in our horticultural library at Deep Cut Gardens in Middletown, NJ, which is open to the public. That's a bit of a drive from where you are, but we get lots of visitors from Ocean County. If you're ever up our way, stop in; the park is on Red Hill Road, just 1.7 miles from Exit 114 of the Garden State Parkway.

Good luck with those beans! Oh, if you can, take a few pictures of the entire plant, then just individual pics of leaf, flower and beans (of entire pod and of beans inside). It would help to have something like a ruler or coin nearby for size reference. Maybe with those photos, someone can identify it for you.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville