Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Vegetable Gardening

Posted by jlcasaletto none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 14:58

Hi all- I am hoping for some suggestions. About a month ago when we were having work done in our yard, workers ran over and completely destroyed our well ( our only source of outside water). Ever since I have been diligently using a five gallon bucket to water the garden and keep it flourshing. Little did I know, my husband decided to empty gasoline from our edger into the bucket the other day. When watering my plants I noticed a gasoline smell (but I am also 33 weeks pregnant and always smelling something) there was also a light filmy residue on the top of the water- which at the time I attributed to the recent rains. Needless to say, I have now used this bucket to water twice. It has only been a few days since the initial watering, but the plants seem to be ok. If they continue to survive, my questions are as follows:

Are the vegetables themselves contaminated since the soil was exposed to watery gasoline residue? Should I wait it out a few more days and see what happens?

Do I scrap the garden altogether for this season based on potential contamination, or is there still hope?

Should I remove all the growing/ ripe vegetables today- in fear of contamination-continue to water ( with a clean bucket!) and hope for new growth?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated! As I mentioned being 33 weeks pregnant is probably contributing to my fears of eating anything out of my garden, yet it has been a constant source of food all summer and I hate to give that up!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Vegetable Gardening

In your situation, I would not want to eat anything out of the contaminated garden.

It should be ok the next year since the released amount is very small. But just to be cautious, I'd move the vegetable garden to another place and only plant ornamental or edibles for birds or dog.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here