Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlcasaletto

Help! Vegetable Gardening

jlcasaletto
9 years ago

Hi all- I am hoping for some suggestions. About a month ago when we were having work done in our yard, workers ran over and completely destroyed our well ( our only source of outside water). Ever since I have been diligently using a five gallon bucket to water the garden and keep it flourshing. Little did I know, my husband decided to empty gasoline from our edger into the bucket the other day. When watering my plants I noticed a gasoline smell (but I am also 33 weeks pregnant and always smelling something) there was also a light filmy residue on the top of the water- which at the time I attributed to the recent rains. Needless to say, I have now used this bucket to water twice. It has only been a few days since the initial watering, but the plants seem to be ok. If they continue to survive, my questions are as follows:

Are the vegetables themselves contaminated since the soil was exposed to watery gasoline residue? Should I wait it out a few more days and see what happens?

Do I scrap the garden altogether for this season based on potential contamination, or is there still hope?

Should I remove all the growing/ ripe vegetables today- in fear of contamination-continue to water ( with a clean bucket!) and hope for new growth?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated! As I mentioned being 33 weeks pregnant is probably contributing to my fears of eating anything out of my garden, yet it has been a constant source of food all summer and I hate to give that up!

Comment (1)