Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mooch91

Crape Myrtle (Tonto) in central NJ

mooch91
16 years ago

All,

Looking for some advice for a Tonto Crape Myrtle in central NJ (zone 6, Middlesex County). Tag from nursery indicates cold hardiness to 0-10 deg.

Tree was originally planted from nursery container in ground (western exposure, no other shade in area) two years ago, mid to late autumn. Tree was approximately 1 foot in height at the time. Tree died back to ground and in the spring, new shoots developed from the ground out.

Early that spring, tree was relocated from ground to a fairly large container (10 gal+) and positioned in an area similar to where it was planted in the ground (western exposure). Tree really thrived during the spring and summer and grew to be approximately 2.5 - 3 feet tall. Pot was well mulched (4") and positioned away from wind during the winter. Once again, tree died back to soil level and the next spring, much later this time, new shoots developed from the soil out.

Tree is still in container, doing fairly well (1.5 feet in height and flowering) and I am trying to figure out what to do with it this year. I have a "hole" in my landscape, with fairly sunny southern exposure, that would be perfect for this plant. However, if it dies back to the soil each year, it's not a plant worth saving, as beautiful as the flowers are.

Has anyone had success growing this variety in the ground in this area? Or is it not of suitable hardiness for central NJ? Maybe I've just had bad luck? Or the container planting was a bad idea? Or I planted it too late in the season first time it went in to the ground?

Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks.

Comment (1)