Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herman_neutics

mangled and/or mutilated?

herman_neutics
9 years ago

We have a family house in Cape May where i have been working on the garden since 1998. Recently my sister said she was going to give the landscape people a call and have them thin out and trim the plants.

last week I finally made it down and I was horrified by what I saw.

Am i over reacting? the topped plants are a pair of Juniperus rigida with Quercus myrsinifolia in between. The other pics are Pinus bungeana, and camellia japonica. They also "pruned" pawpaws and osmanthus, Pinus thunbergii with the same degree of incompetence.

The topping action on the junipers and oak was the most painful to observe. I started thos plants as 14-18 inch lil whips about 12 years ago.

Tearing the bark while making cuts on the pinus bungeana is so sloppy and incompetent. The work on P. Thunbergii was a hack job too. I believe that it is not a good practice to prune these plants in summer because of problems with beetles.

I'm sickened.

I've never spoken to the "landscaper" before but now it's urgent that i have a talk. Wondering how other folks would handle this type of situation.

Comments (16)

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    9 years ago

quercus myrsinifolia

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    9 years ago

three topped plants

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pinus bungeana

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Camellia japonica

This is/was the cultivar 'April Dawn' Thisplant was about 8-9 feet tall.

Planted in 2000-2001

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    9 years ago

this gives an idea of the plants before topping. You can see one of the junipers and the oak on the left side of the walk way

This post was edited by herman_neutics on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 10:05

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Guys thanks for indulging me. here's a last pic that shows just how much was lost. This is from march this year. Plants are on the right rear.

• lisanti07028
    9 years ago

That's horrible. I can't even think of why any of those cuts were made. What did your sister tell them? And where did she find them? If it is a "reputable" landscaper, I'd drag the boss over and show him what was done, and ask for damages. You must be absolutely sick about it.

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks lisa. i like your suggestion of bringing the boss over and giving him a tour of gardening horrors that were inflicted by his crew.

• tracey_nj6
    9 years ago

This is why I never want a landscaper on my property. Sorry for your losses! Good luck with the boss.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Definitely bring the boss and show him the trees ... tell him that pictures of the trees will be all over the internet with his company's name on them.

That was butchery.

=====
    When she said "The Landscape People" ... did she mean the guys who mow the lawn?

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks again guys. i hope to meet with the offenders or their boss this monday or tues. ill give an update if we connect.

plus everyone probably would like to know the name of the landscaper...i will provide that.

• eaga
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry this happened to your garden. Looks to me like the work of a mow and blow crew. They don't know proper pruning techniques, they're just going to give your property a 'clean up' as quickly as they can and move to the next job. The sad and frustrating thing is, they don't even know that they don't know what they're doing. I sincerely hope that you get a satisfactory resolution when you meet with the boss, but I suspect that he or she won't even understand what's wrong.

One thing I would do, for the future, is look now for a landscaper that *is* qualifed to do the fine gardening and pruning work your beautiful landscape requires, so there won't be any issues next time.

Edited to add: I forgot to answer your question. No, you are definitely not overreacting.

And keep an eye out for damage to your shrubs in case they also brought out the glysophate.

This post was edited by Cercis141 on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 23:25

• Loretta NJ Z6
    9 years ago

That's criminal. Destruction of property. What can the boss possibly do? Replace the plants? I hope you didn't pay him.

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again folks.

I finally caught up with the boss by phone, today.

He admitted it was a botch job on the cuts. He said that the workers had been trained but that they are poor learners. He said that did not have very good supervision on that day.

As far as the topping goes. He explained that he was instructed to cut the tops off by my brother n law.

It's gotten a little uglier.

• eaga
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update. Is the boss going to do something for you to account for his crew's mistakes?

Sorry about the BIL thing (oosh).

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Once I heard the BIL part i lost my better reasoning powers.

I was hesitant to ask the landscape guy for any compensation such as discounted service, free pruning etc. for obvious reasons.

Since the main offenses were the toppings that the crew was directed to perform I didn't feel like it was so horrific. The horrific part is the lack of judgment and disrespect on the part of BIL.

Seems like a toxic condition.