Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agardenstateof_mind

Rare Find Dog/Azalea Sales Extended

I have no connection with them, just a satisfied customer. Stopped in at Rare Find Nursery in Jackson today and learned that their annual "Dog Sale" and their Rhododendron/Azalea Sale is being extended into mid-September. Link to their website is below.

The "dogs" are plants that, for one reason or another, just aren't in top shape, so are being sold at a discount, but with a little attention can become lovely plants. The weigela 'Rubidor' I bought at a considerable discount a few years ago, carefully pruned and nurtured, is now a lovely, well-shaped shrub.

Today I came home with two deciduous and one evergreen azalea, and finally bought the amelanchier ('Princess Diana') and magnolia virginiana (sweet bay magnolia 'Henry Hicks') that I've been wanting so long ... though those last two were not on sale.

Lots of rhodies and azaleas, crepe myrtles, and some very interesting upright yews (cephalotaxus fastigata) that are supposedly deer-resistant; other things I cannot remember.

We missed the exit from I195 for Jackson and wound up not far from Walnford Park, so followed the signs and made a little side trip to this historic site and really enjoyed the restored buildings, historical information and the beautiful, peaceful setting. It's a part of the Monmouth County Park System, so no fee for admission or parking. Go to www.monmouthcountyparks.com if you want any further info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rare Find Nursery

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia