Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldgirl_gw

New to Jersey - establishing meadow in Hunterdon

goldgirl
17 years ago

Hi Everyone - we've just relocated to Hunterdon County, and would like to establish a meadow on several acres of our property. I intially posted questions on the Meadows Forum, but then found this NJ group. I've linked my post below.

I'd be greatful for any advice on this topic, especially as this is our first experience with extremely rocky soil.

In our previous state, we could call the local university Extention Services for help. Does the same thing exist here?

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Post in Meadows Forum

Comments (5)

• evan1
    17 years ago

http://www.rce.rutgers.edu/

Rutgers has a great extension service. Their Snyder farm is an awesome place, right in the middle of Hunterdon as well. I'm sure they could advise.

• goldgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks evan1. I called Rutgers today and they didn't seem to know what to do with my questions, shifting me around between departments. Finally, they took my address and said they'd try and mail some information. Not sure how helpful that will be.

Had a little better luck with a county soil conservation department, who agreed to send me an application to have someone come out. But that has to be approved, which can take a month or more, depending on when they meet.

• tonyb416
    17 years ago

Goldgirl -- how goes the progress? I'm curious how you're doing. We have a 1/2 acre that is just overgrown with wild roses, poison ivy, and "trash" mulberry trees that I'd like to clear out and create a meadow with native wildflowers. And I'm also in Hunterdon County.

Have any luck from your contacts?

-- Tony

• njtea
    17 years ago

I'd suggest leaving your land alone and just see what happens. Take out the invasives as they appear and maybe plant a few native grasses. Plan on it taking a few years for "nature" to do your work for you.

One source for help might be the Upper Raritan Watershed Assn. They have a beautiful property, Fairview Farm, in Bedminster, that is open 7 days a week sunrise to sunset for visitors. There are trails through both uplands and wetlands areas to explore; you might find many ideas there as to how to handle your property.

I'm in Hunterdon County also, northern Hunterdon, up close to the Morris County line.

Here is a link that might be useful: URWA

• ellenh
    17 years ago

Hi,

I'm in Hunterdon County as well. There is a nursery in Frenchtown specializing in wildflower that might be able to help you. They're called Toadshade Wildflower Farm. The sell mostly on-line but I'm told that you can call and visit her directly. She might be a good resource. Common field flowers here are yarrow, rudbeckia, oxe-eye daisy, common red lobelia (in wet areas) among others.

You may want to consider putting in some top soil. Our rocky clay soil with the topsoil removed can sometimes be hard to grow things in.

Hope that gives you a good start.

Ellen