Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Where are the cicadas??

User
16 years ago

I just moved (locally) into a new home but have noticed that I do NOT hear the cicada this year. I am in an area with more tree and woods than I was living in previously and am wondering about the cicada silence. Anyone else notice this??

Comments (16)

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    16 years ago

Hey, you're right! I usually hear them by now but it's blessedly quiet. What happened to them?

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

I was wondering the same thing. It's bizarre not hearing them, especially with the hot days we've been having. Last night I had to go to the shed. The security light came on, and on the corner of the shed was the UGLIEST cicada I'd ever seen, just emerging from it's shell. I've seen them before, plenty of times, but this one was downright creepy looking. I could kick myself for not taking a picture!!! Everything seems off this year; late cicada's, early crickets, the lightening bug population dwindled massively, monarchs laying their eggs early (for me, anyway). What the heck is going on?!?!?!? But, it's been a great butterfly year for me in my garden. Loads of yellow swallowtails, monarchs, red admirals; I even seen more black swallowtails, which I don't get to see too often.

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    16 years ago

Out of curiosity, I just called my local Master Gardener hotline. They had no information on the lack of cicadas this year. (It sounded like they thought I was a bit nutty for asking. LOL)

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think that being into gardening really makes you much more sensitive to the subtle changes in the environment. I have non-gardening friends, and some of these people wouldnt't notice if it didn't rain for a month or two or if temps were 5 degrees warmer or colder than average for a season, etc. The quiet stillness in the yard (w.o. the cicada) reminds me of September or October--still warm but dead silence--almost spooky. Like the calm before the storm.

• fmart322
    16 years ago

I've always thought that cicada have different life cycles then other bugs. Each brood comes to life in different years. This year just might be a year where we won't get as many as in years past. Some other area, say Ohio, could have twice as many as normal.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

I did hear one or two but your right. It is an off year for them.

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

I wonder how this will affect the Cicada Killer Wasp population. I had 3 buzzing around in close quarters in my lawn, but haven't seen them in a few days. I know the field next to my house and the ballfields are normally swarming with them; I always felt bad for the kids playing baseball & soccer! I can't recall an off year since I purchased my house 11 years ago. I was actually waiting for "the big one" we were supposed to have, but we didn't get it here in Bergen County. Summer just doesn't seem the same without them.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

There are some around. I heard them yesterday up in Hardyston.

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

Funny; I posted at 10am, went out at lunchtime, and heard more than just a few. Maybe they're running a little late this year, or it truly is just an off year.

• buck1173
    16 years ago

hi, they've been hiding in my tomato garden.

Had a couple scare the beejeezes out of me by leaping out while my head was burried in plants.

This one played nice and allowed me to take its picture. (I'm pretty sure this is a cicada, I've never seen them so close up before this year). Though the trees are fairly quiet this year.

{{gwi:1064826}}

• herbivore
    16 years ago

Aren't they due back in about 15 more years? I remember the 17 yr ones were out 2? years ago. The other ones have long cycles too; I think there is a 19 yr one, and probably one shorter than that.

We had a BIG cicada killer wasp on our porch yesterday! It was dying. :( They are harmless but huge. This was almost 2 inches. Wow.

• ladychroe
    16 years ago

I remember reading that due to their long pupal stage the local populations wax and wane. At the moment I have at least one in each of my three big trees, though this isn't one of those noisy years.

Don't know if it's related, but my mom in Manalapan had so many cicada killers in her yard that she was forced to call the exterminator because she was afraid to go outside, even though they're harmless. I have to say that even though I know they won't hurt humans, it is slightly horrifying when three or four start circling you, investigating the cuffs of your shorts.

• ofionnachta
    16 years ago

They were all in my yard!

Ha ha, Ladychroe, those cicada killers wanted to tuck their buggy treasure into your chorts!

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

ladychroe; someone on one of the other forums insisted that they do indeed sting, and that she was stung.

Funny; I saw one on Saturday; seems like a strange year indeed.

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I heard some the other day too. Weird! Normally they are crying incessantly during July and August. This year I hardly heard a peep (chirp??) Now that it's fall, and I've heard a few. Weird year!

• ofionnachta
    16 years ago

What was that stung person doing, picking up the wasp for a better look? Or can't they tell cicada killers from hornets?