Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evan_nj

Surprises of Summer 06?

evan_nj
17 years ago

The weather has been a bit extreme this year. I wondered if others on the list would care to share what is doing well for them this summer. For me the real surprise success has been Verbena Bonariensis. It has thrived in the heat and humidity and is making a wonderful show just now in the dog days of August when almost everything else is looking pretty tired.

Comments (7)

• njtea
    17 years ago

Surprises:

how beautiful the roses were this past spring, especially since I do nothing to the roses except thrown an ash pan of wood ashes on each bush once during the winter.

the Verbena b. and Salvia greggii overwintered! I cut the verbena back last week and it is again growing - I should have a nice fall flowering.

how much the cupplant self-seeded - to the point where I have now designated it a garden thug and it will be moved to a place where it hopefully will create less havoc.

• minibite
    17 years ago

A neighbor gave me some of her pink zinnia, and when everything else was wilting and turning brown, it stood tall with lots of lovely blooms, stayed green, and required little water. A bonus was the numerous varieties of butterflies that it attracted, and I'm just talkin'one plant!

Also, I placed about 6 giant pumpkin seeds that I've been saving for a couple of years into a pile of homemade compost. I really didn't expect much. Now I have a bonified lovely little pumkin patch! Interestingly, the large leaves flop in the extreme heat, but perk up again when it cools down in the evening. The first time I noticed this, I thought it was dying, but soon learned that it's a survival mechanism. It wilts wheter I water or not. I can't wait to see how many pumpkins I'll have this Halloween!

• mprats
    17 years ago

For me, all the crepe myrtles in town are blooming more beautiful than I can ever remember, as well as the pee wee hydrangeas.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Four dahlias overwintered at my SIL. They were in full sun close to the foundation.
    More butterflies are hanging around the yard instead of flying through one at a time.
    Found a self sown kiwi vine growing in the yard and it overwintered.
    Sister Theresa hydrangea finally bloomed after five years.
    The longstalk hollies finally put on some height and caught up to a neighboring magnolia. Still making a lousy screen though.

• Kathy
    17 years ago

Our dwarf peach tree, purchased two years ago at Dearborn Farms, gave us probably 200 delicious peaches.

• tracey_nj6
    17 years ago

My one and only great surprise is that it's my first year having monarch caterpillars on my milkweeds (which I've had for years)! I started rearing them, and have released 2 butterflies (one male, one female), and currently have 3 chrysalids, 2 in the J position, and 2 caterpillars.

I love verbena bonariensis. Unfortunately, mine got slammed during Ernesto and haven't bounced back. The good thing is that they'll reseed like mad, I'm sure of that!!

• ellenh
    17 years ago

Good Surprises:

A pink rambling I planted did better than any other rose I've ever had.
    Didn't think to see how big fennel got when I planted it in the front of a garden. It grew about 6-7 feet tall - definitely not a front of garden plant. Late sprouters really made me happy. I thought I lost all kinds of fern and my little crepe myrtle. The all popped up late and made me very happy.

Unpleasant surprises - how much damage the voles did over the winter and how much damage deer did this fall to my pumpkin patch.

Ellen

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz