Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rutgers Ag Days Tomato Tasting...How was it?

Posted by leigh711 z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 3, 05 at 0:08

Had a nice sampling of various tomatoes & garlic at the Sussex County Fair..did anyone go to The Rutgers Tomato Tasting this past Wednesday?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rutgers Ag Days Tomato Tasting...How was it?

Yes, I enjoyed the event. My first time there. I thought it was well organized and "delicious." I saved a few seeds, though I haven't the foggiest what to do with them next! Do I store them in the fridge until planting time?

o

Clean them and dry them out. You don't have to keep them in the fridge.
I missed the event again. I even had a chance to have worked it but seems we always have plans when this event comes around.

o

I enjoyed my first trip to the tasting also. In addition to tasting, I like seeing the various ways to support the tomatoes (although none were really successful fully), and the trial gardens where tomatoes were treated with Serenade. The deer resistant garden plants and the perennial garden were interesting, as was the hay ride around the facility. I would definetely attend again if possible. Brought home sees from 4 varieties.

o

The seeds put in a cup of water or one cup per variety, let sit till scum forms a few days later rinse them off , I use a tea strainer and run water from the faucet on them to get any gel etc off them, I let them dry on a paper towel and put them in envelope after they dry. Did this with some tomatoes had this winter and they are now all producing nice tomatoes for me. Those got preped outside in the 20's temps too. They do ferment and do smell so iffy if you want to do this in your house.

o

Let them ferment for five days - the viable seeds will sink to the bottom. Drying them on a coffee filter will make it easier to scrape them off than on a paper towel.
If you're going to put the container outside, cover with gauze or screening to keep flies off. I just did mine on the kitchen window sill - I'm not doing huge quantities and didn't detect much of an odor.
For more details, try the tomato forum and look up the fac.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here