Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugar_magnolia_gw

Mexican Petunia

sugar_magnolia
18 years ago

Does anyone have experience with Mexican Petunias? I planted 3 large plants early summer and they did beautifully--didn't mind the humidity one bit.

When I purchased them from Home Depot, they were labelled Mandevilla Vine. Of course, it took me a while to find out what they really were--I happened to be watching an episode of P Allen Smith and and he identified it.

So, now that I know what the plants are, I've looked online to see how to care for them. Well, the reportedly are not hardy in zone 6. However, I have seen a pix online that show Mexican Petunias planted in Central Park. Does anyone know if they will overwinter here in NJ? I'd hate to lose them--but I don't want to dig them up and bring indoors, either.

BTW, I paid $20/piece for them at HD. Was this a fair price--or did I pay for a costlier Mandevilla?

Finally, I read on another forum that several folks had grown them in their gardens in the South and truly regretted it. They reported the plant to be very invasive. Does anyone know this to be true? How can I manage the plant?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida