Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugar_magnolia_gw

Need a good mounding plant for walkway

sugar_magnolia
18 years ago

I am looking for plants to line my front walkway leading up to my front door. I'd like something that has a nice mounding habit, nice flowers, and stays evergreen throughout the winter--since it's the front of the house, I don't want icky twigs planted there for half the year. Any recommendations? BTW, one side of the path is part sun to light shade and the other side is full sun.

Comments (9)

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I normally advise NOT to plant along a walkway as whatever you plant is normally going to take the "brunt" of thrown snow in the winter.

If you have to have, I'd suggest a Montgomery's "Birds Nest" Spruce. That should be able to withstand heavy snow as it is a low grower.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

You might rethink this and try to intermix a structure of evergreen plants with other flowering plants that will die back to give you more options. Also consider that all icky sticks are not created equal. Some put on quite a show in the winter.
    Size requirements and a little bit about your taste can change everything I've written here. When you say mounding, the plants that come to mind to me are mostly deciduous like hostas, heucheras, cimafuga etc. or hydrangeas, spireas, St. John's wort, deutzia, etc.

Otherwise evergreen plants that flower fall broadly into the category of broadleaf evergreens, dwarf forms of rhodies, evergreen azaleas, pieris, laurels and kalmia plus sarcococca or skimmia (male and female for berries). Most of these can have fragrance. You might source these out at Rare Find nursery in Jackson or Fairweather Gardens in Greenwich if you can't find them locally. Both have websites.
    Abelias can be semievergreen but I don't have luck with them. Nor do I have luck with heaths and heathers. For a similar texture, I buy small dwarf conifers that are extremely slow growing. No flowers though.

I have a daphne that is almost evergreen and flowers almost all the time - up until a January hard freeze. Here is one I found that seems like it but I can't find any exactly the same as the one I have - Daphne x transatlantica 'Summer Ice'. Not quite evergreen but the long flowering season might make you forgive it. Mine loses its leaves very late in the season. And is a little slow to leaf out in spring.

Helleborus foetidus comes to mind as a plant that stays green in winter and is mounded. The light green flower buds form and grow during winter and will bloom when the weather starts to break. They may need staking at this point because the stalks are heavy with flowers. Once they go to seed, you might renew the plant, cutting it all the way back. Other hellebores are somewhat evergreen as well. Here the foliage needs cutting at the very begining of the season before they send up their flowers. Heucheras don't die back all the way but they are more ratty to me.

Snowcaps have silver leaves that stay in winter and white flowers very early spring. Iberis sempervirins - evergreen candytuft. Black mondo grass can be overdone very easily but stays around in the winter. I have a very small patch growing among a variegated small leaf, evergreen white and green ivy which I like. Another growing next to bronze leaf sweet potato vine, and some sanvitalia. It gets a sweet purple flower. Asarum splendens is evergreen and mounding though you won't see the flower unless you get on the ground and part the leaves. I'm trying to remember if my european ginger is evergreen. Garlic chives - allium tuberosum have beautiful white longlasting flowers in the fall (now) seedheads in the winter and are mounding and you can garnish your salad with them.
    There are mounding spireas that have a delicate structure, flower, have beautiful fall color and spring leaf color and even a spicy scent. Or if you don't like that color combo of chartruese leaves with pink, try Ogon, a white flowered variety. Fall color is less than the others I have though. Also my itea Merlot holds its burgandy leaves through the winter. Genista lydia is a type of prostrate broom with green stems and yellow flowers. Not an invasive type. There are some nice smaller variegated yuccas. Winter jasmine is colorful in winter and will flower in warm winters. It needs to be trained, trimmed or controlled. Its easy to do though. Then you might consider plants that may not flower well but have showy berries like the ilex family. There are dwarfs there. Callicarpa Issai is a mounding shrub that can be cut back but larger than others I mentioned here.

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago

Nice narrative & a good overview Loretta, though again, I winced at the thought of rhodies, laurels, taking the brunt of shoveled snow. While I have an extensive bed of rhodies/laurel on the other side of my walk (opposite my foundation), I've always made a point of getting out early in the snowfall, and push the snow along the walk, thus not burying things like Rh. Rukizon, Hillier's Pink, K. Redbud, Pieris 'minuet' or that keskei hybrid that escapes me at the moment.

SugarMag wants "vanilla". She wants something that will be "seen" through the winter, etc. Oooops, upon RE READ, I noticed that "flowering" is also on the wish list..... maybe your rhodies comment does fit the bill. And Rare Finds (which is where I've been purchasing my plants for the last 6-8 years) is the ticket. Just a word to Sugar Mag: If you do decide on planting along the walk, DON'T DUMP on them. They'll break very easily. Good luck to you kid.

Btw SM, do you jump like a "Willy's in 4 wheel drive"????

That aside, Loretta. It sounds as if you have a very nice garden. It's been a tough stretch these last 6 weeks with the lack of rain eh?

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Thanks Birdsong and wow - excuse my spelling!
    I wish I could say my garden is great but it needs a lot of work, rearranging and editing. Someday I'll get it together.

• sugar_magnolia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow, Loretta, what a wonderful list of plants to check out! Thanks so much for all the info!!! I've not heard of many of the plants you list. I guess I've got some research ahead of me.

Birdsong, I get what you are saying about the snow... never thought of that. BTW, twenty years ago I could dance a cajun rhythm, jump like a willys in four wheel drive--now I garden:-) And you Birdsong--do you laugh in the sunshine, sing, cry in the dark, fly through the night?

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago

Anyone who sings so sweet is surely passing by.

Black earth live again for you SugarMag.

• sugar_magnolia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Let it grow. My favorite.

• sharpshin
    18 years ago

try lavender. the variety 'hidcote' makes a 20-22" mound, it's ever-grey, if not evergreen. with prompt trimming it will bloom twice a season and the butterflies love it. plus, the fragrance is wonderful.

• sugar_magnolia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Elke -- How funny you shoulkd mention lavender. I was on the net this am trying to find a good source because I've decided that is what I want to plant in this wlakway. I put some spanish lavendar in my yard this season and it is absolutely wonderful. I think I am addicted and want to try other varieties. The smell is intoxicating. Do you know if it is ok to plant lavender now in NJ -- I am just south of Trenton? DO you know a good source for it online? I found a great place online and lost the bookmark :-( It was a farm and they had all sorts of varieties; they even made their own products with it -- like lavender soaps and such.

My walkway is pretty long and is take a "left." I thought I might try a different variety around the bend. Do you think this would look too uniform? Should I mix it up some other way or just stick to one variety? The walkway ends at a 5' tall white picket fence and I thought I'd plant some globe allium and/or gladiator allium along this fence. There is a small-ish lawn between the fence and the walkway and there is an old pink dogwood planted here. We are putting a low red stone wall around the tree to make a raised planting bed in which I plan to plant icestick tulips, blue grape hyacinth, and peach and yellow hyacinths.

I am going to copy this post and create a new post specifically for the lavender question in case someone knows specifically about the plant.

Thanks!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH