Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugar_magnolia_gw

Lavender questions

sugar_magnolia
18 years ago

I was on the net this am trying to find a good source for lavender because I've decided that I want to plant in along my front walkway. I put some spanish lavendar in my yard this season and it is absolutely wonderful. I think I am addicted and want to try other varieties. The smell is intoxicating. Does anyone know if it is ok to plant lavender now in NJ -- I am just south of Trenton? Does anyone know a good source to purchase it online? I found a great place online and lost the bookmark :-( It was a farm and they had all sorts of varieties; they even made their own products with it -- like lavender soaps and such.

My walkway is pretty long and takes a "left." I thought it might be ncie to try a different variety around the bend -- or would this look too uniform? Should I mix it up some other way or just stick to one variety? The walkway ends at a 5' tall white picket fence and I thought I'd plant some globe allium and/or gladiator allium along this fence. There is a small-ish lawn between the fence and the walkway and there is an old pink dogwood planted here. We are putting a low red stone wall around the tree to make a raised planting bed in which I plan to plant icestick tulips, blue grape hyacinth, and peach and yellow hyacinths.

Any advance is appreciated.

Comments (11)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Winter protect that Spanish lavender, it is not winter hardy here.

If it is a good size (5 gallon pot) then it would be OK now, but it is getting late. One of those smaller pots, I would wait until May. I order from Papa Genos or Well Sweep Herb Farm (well worth a road trip). I'm not good with the color-coordinating stuff (I don't do it). Know that some plants grow large, and will need trimming to keep back to a manageable size and shape.

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    18 years ago

"We are putting a low red stone wall around the tree to make a raised planting bed..."
    SM - this has me concerned. It is my understandiong that raising the soil level around a tree can kill it. How high were you planning raise the level?

• sugar_magnolia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hi JG, not high, onlu 2 stones. will that be OK? i'd hate to lose the tree. i haven't planted yet so it's not too late to modify my plans.

hi Diane -- how do i winter protect the spanish lavendar? i don't want to lose that either, it's smell is wonderful.

thanks!

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

I brought my spanish lavender indoors in a pot, under lights. It lived but didn't bloom the following year. Then I just left it outdoors figuring I was better off buying a new one in the spring with buds. It tricked me into thinking it might live but it didn't. Its like rosemary.

Wellsweep has a display garden of lavender of all different types and colors. They are by the woods past the greenhouses to the right. I would highly recommend you go see it. They also will tell you which ones are hardiest. Their plants for sale aren't very big though. Selections is better in the spring. You can order their catalog.
    http://www.wellsweep.com/
    If you have patience, before you invest in a long border of lavender, I would try a couple of plants and see how they do. They seem to be a hit or miss plant. Mine were totally eaten this year.

You need to keep the flare of the trunk exposed. Tree volcanoes are said to be a sure slow death.

Here is a link that might be useful: tree volcanoes

• sugar_magnolia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, Loretta. As always, you are a wealth of gardening knowledge. I guess I'll be diggin up all the lavender and mexican petunias before frost to bring them indoors. What a chore!

Thanks for the links -- very helpful.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Mulching the Spanish might help. But, I had the same experience as Loretta. I gave up after two tries.

• Annie_nj
    18 years ago

I have Munstead Lavender, started with 3 plants, and now have one, but it moved itself. I think it layered itself, and the original plant died. I benignly neglect it, fearing to kill it with too much love.

Popes near Atco has reasonably priced annuals, and Russell's Wholesaler's in Richboro (NE Phila) has reasonably priced perennials.

• agardenstateof_mind
    18 years ago

Diane, I'm so glad I happened upon this thread and your post, otherwise next spring I'd be kicking myself for having killed yet another lavender. I found my Spanish Lavender (Lavandula Stoechas) in the Perennial section of the nursery. We're here in zone 7a, possibly 7b in my neighborhood in southern Monmouth County along the Shark River Bay, so I'll mulch well and hope for the best. I've tried different kinds and this is one of the lovliest.

I do get so frustrated when I see other yards with huge, years-old patches of lavender ... what are they doing that I'm not? Maybe it's time to go ring a doorbell and ask ...

another Diane

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

I have other lavenders, including one huge Alba, that do very well. They don't like wet feet, so water, but not too much (in fact, I don't water the Alba at all now, it gets whatever falls from the sky). Lots of sun. If I remember, I give then a little fertilizer once a year. Otherwise, they seem to thrive on neglect. I had a beautiful Jean Davis (pink) that unfortunally was mistaken for a weed and pulled up. I will replace it. Except for the Spanish veriety, I find them very easy to grow.

• lucillle
    13 years ago

New Jersey's first Lavender farm, Pleasant Valley Lavender, is open on weekends throughout the summer for U-Pick Lavender. Visitors can stroll through the fragrant fields and create bouquets from a variety of English and French species, including Provence, Grosso, Super, Seal, Fred Boutin, Gros Bleu, Munstead, Hidcote, Royal Velvet, and Jean Davis. Dried bouquets and Lavender gifts are available for purchase. Summer hours are Saturday and Sunday 10-7 and weekdays by appointment. The farm is located at 288 Pleasant Valley Road in the Wickatunk section of Marlboro. To arrange a visit during the week please call 732-740-4832. Throughout the season the farm will be hosting demonstrations on Lavender cultivation, Lavender aromatherapy and culinary uses of Lavender.

Here is a link that might be useful: Star Ledger

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

There is a lavender farm near Doylestown, PA that might be closer for some of you. I haven't been to Peace Valley Lavender Farm but hope to head there next week and combine it with a trip to Peddlar's Village and New Hope. Here's a link to a recent arti13785.html">
    Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Zone (optional):

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Â Â Â Name of the Link:

A copy of further followups will be emailed to this poster.

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
    • Please review our Rules of Play
      before posting.
    • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you
      will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your
      post, make changes and upload photos.
    • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in
      order to see it.
    • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
    • We have a strict no-advertising
      policy
      !
    • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit
      our Test forum.
    • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we
      will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Most Recent Posts

Explore GardenWeb

Ann's Cream Cheese Babka