Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbobnj

cover crops

bobbobnj
17 years ago

I'm starting my first real vegetable garden and I'm reading about cover crops. I'm thinking of winter rye as it's supposedly cold hardy.

Is a cover crop a good idea and what works best in NJ?

Thanks

Comments (4)

• evan1
    17 years ago

I used Winter Rye last year. If you have Deer in your area- be prepared, they were all over mine each and every night. Never got more than 3 inches tall.

• Annie_nj
    17 years ago

For my garden, I cover it with several feet of leaves, add in some trashed-picked pumkins, and have a cheap, easy compost pile. If I turn it several times over the winter, it does break down quickly. The leaves prevent weeds, and make for a nice mulch the following summer. There are a lot of slugs, but other than that, leaves are great.

I have never put in a cover crop, because I am not confident I would have the time to remove it when needed. And you absolutely do not want to train deer to come eat out of your garden.

• bobbobnj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just remembered I posted this. Thanks for the replies.

My back yard is fenced in so deer aren't a problem. I do have a groundhog though that I suppose I'll have to try and trap or something in the spring. I may try the rye. I am wondering if I'll get around to turning it under early enough before spring. They say six weeks or so before planting.

I just finished removing most of the sod and am digging to remove lots of rocks. By the time I finish I'll be sorry I ever started this garden. If I get around to it I think I'll try the rye. If not, the leaves and stuff.

Thanks

• rothwood
    17 years ago

I use buckwheat as a cover crop, and plan on using winter rye this fall. I have very sandy soil here in coastal NJ, and I need all the organic matter I can get. Buckwheat is an annual, looks a bit like a smartweed. Buckwheat germinates quickly and established a dense canopy and outcompetes weeds. You can use it in the spring and summer. It goes to flower in about 4 weeks. This year, I bought seed for $0.63/lb, and planted it in the spring where I intended to put the warm weather crops like pumpkins, squash and melons. I turned in the buckwheat the week before I planted the squash, etc. I had a great cantelope season, a bumper crop of acorn suqah and fair pumpkin crop in an otherwise sandy garden.

It also allows you to buy some time in your garden when you finish one crop (say peas) and do not intend to plant the area again until late summer (say for leafy veggies). This is key for weed control.