Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penguin828

Fall planting questions.

penguin828
16 years ago

Hi, I am new here, and have never planted anything.

The new place I just moved to has a large yard, and garden area that I am anxious to utilize.

I wanted to know if I can plant anything now that would be harvest-able in the next few weeks/months?

I was mainly interested in fruits, vegetable and herbs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Comments (3)

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

Maybe mesclun, radishes, baby carrots? People plant garlic bulbs now for harvest next year. If you check out a seed catalog for vegetables, some will have how many days until harvest - like Pinetree Seeds. That might give you a clue. Also there is a Vegetable forum here. I'm sure everyone is talking about what they are planting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Gardening

• goodground
    16 years ago

Hi Carlos : )

How much sun does your garden area get? What type of soil do you have? Does your soil drain well? I think you should try to answer some of these questions before you move forward. That will help you determine what you can successfully grow in your garden. Assuming your conditions are ok, you have a lot of planting options here in Jerzey. What do you like? I grow Apples, Pears, Plums, Cherries, Peaches, Figs, Mulberries, Blueberries, Raspberries, Strawberries, Grapes, Currants, Wintergreen and lots of Tomatoes.

My daughter LOVES to pick fresh strawberries out of the garden. If strawberries are planted now, they will fruit next summer. I grow the ever bearing type so they fruit all summer. IÂd say be patient, take the off season to learn what and how to grow it, and youÂll make better decisions next spring. If you decide on growing fruit, I recommend you find a reliable source and stay away from the home depot type box stores. Gardening involves a lot of patience and TLC, so you want to grow something you will enjoy at harvest. If you do plant this fall, take into consideration that our first frost usually comes as soon as November arrives. Good Luck!

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose"

{{gwi:1065320}}

{{gwi:1065323}}

{{gwi:1065326}}

"And these are they which are sown on good ground; such as hear the word, and receive it, and bring forth fruit,"

• ofionnachta
    16 years ago

You could plant lettuce seeds every week for a few weeks & be picking fresh salads until frost.

What you really need to be doing at this time of year is getting the soil ready for next year's garden, which you can have the fun of planning over the winter. You should be marking out an area in your yard that receives as much sun as possible & is not over or downstream of the septic system.

Start turning over the soil in your marked area--not too big for a first timer!---or get a neighbor to rototill it. Pull out rocks. If your soil is clay, dig in some playground sand. Then as the leaves are falling, bury them directly in your soil. Also, until the ground freezes, bury all your kitchen (plant material) waste right into the soil. It is still warm enough that it will break down pretty quickly. Banana peels,orange rinds, that last bit of pasta no one ate, etc. If your lawn does not have pesticides & weedkillers on it, you can bury your grass clippings too.

You can start a compost pile when the ground freezes & you can't bury the stuff--but if you put it right in now, it will break down & provide nutrients towards next year.

We made a garden bed by the side of our front porch last year, using this method--dug out the (many) rocks, added sand, and spent a year adding kitchen waste & bagged manure & fallen leaves. Wow, you would not believe the happy perennials we have this year! Not to mention the gigantic 7 foot tall grape tomatoes that "planted themselves" from the kitchn stuff. The 2 tomato plants I let live have been feeding the neighborhood most of the summer & are still going strong.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner