Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracey_nj6

Anyone else not having a great big tomato year?

tracey_nj6
17 years ago

I've had lots of grape & patio tomatoes, but no romas yet, and no other larger tomatoes have turned color. Well, I would've had 3 ripened large tomatoes, but the woodchuck beat me to them. Ever since then, nothing, nada. What gives? I had all of my plants in the ground by the end of May, and they had plenty of fruits on them in June. It just seems very late, and a fat chance of getting much ripened, considering the weather as of late...

Comments (19)

• Kathy
    17 years ago

We had hardly any tomatoes this year -- I'm totally disgusted, because even with 4 plants in large pots, we generally get three dozen tomatoes or more per plant. The two pepper plants (sweet red bell peppers -- planted for our parrots) have been underwhelming in terms of production, too.

But the peach tree! It's in its third year, and while we were lucky to get half a dozen teeny fruits the first two years, this year we must have had 200 baseball (some larger) sized peaches on it. We lost a lot of them when the remnants of Ernesto hit, but the fruits we were able to save were luscious.

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    17 years ago

I had cherry tomatoes in pots that produced enormous quantity very early but the plants succumbed to blight (i think) and I took them down in July. Supersonic in the ground was a real dud. Took them down last week - just a few green ones with little chance of ripening. Wonder what the heck is going on this year? A little embarassing. Glad to hear I'm not alone.

• tracey_nj6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I guess it's true; misery loves company :(

• njtea
    17 years ago

I had a few (5 or 6) nice Dr. Wych's or Persimmon - don't know which 'cause I lost the markers and just this week finally picked 3 Brandywine Suddeth, one of which I ended up throwing out. My third plant, again either Dr. Wych's or Persimmon, didn't produce one tomato.

• agardenstateof_mind
    17 years ago

This year's vegetable garden was nowhere near as good as last. Sorry I didn't grow Celebrity again this year, because they are supposed to be more resistant to cracking and I think have a nice flavor and texture. Romas produced, but much lighter than last year. Moskvich and Brandywine were new for me this year and very disappointing in both quantity and quality ... but given the awful season everyone's had, maybe they deserve another try next year. Three varieties of cherry tomato all got blight or something early on and produced only very lightly: an unknown but great variety from last year, Sweet 100 and Juliet - this last one I thought was something else, won't ever get it again, as I can't think of anything good to say about it ... except perhaps that they bounce well!

Peppers (all varieties) and eggplant (Ichiban and Cloud Nine) are also producing only lightly. Lettuces and mixed greens, on the other hand, held out longer than I expected and now I'm thoroughly spoiled, munching the relatively tough and tasteless store-bought stuff with long teeth until my fall crops are ready. Broccoli was a total disaster; pole beans and herbs were so-so. The very early peas were great (I started them in the greenhouse in a tub and was harvesting even before I moved them outside) but the ones started outside were a flop and I tore them out.

The owner of a produce stand nearby mentioned that she had difficulty this season getting produce - many of her suppliers had little to no tomatoes, cukes, squash, eggplant ... So it sounds like even the professional growers had a rough year.

Last year was my first with a veggie garden in a long time and I'm sure thankful that it was not like this year ... I'd probably have given up.

Here's to a better season next year!

Diane

• njmastergardener
    17 years ago

It was not a great year for tomato's at all. I think our spring was too cold and wet. A hot dry end july and aug, made it a rough time for the poor maters. Maters need temps of 70 degrees at night to set flower, But,, they drop the flower and no fruit if the nights are over 90 degrees. Think back, the poor maters had it tough!!
    I'm an heirloom tomato plant grower in burlington county. I grow 20-28 different types of heirloom tomato's with a lineage to nj.
    My family and distant relatives all grew produce for since the 1800's and also for Campbells soup. This has been the worst worst year I can remember. By now I should be up to my elbows in tomato's to can. It's gonna be a slim year on home made tomato sauce.

But there is always next year. I'm already dreaming of what heirloom to add as my NEW one this year.

I'm really shocked to hear about the "Juliet" tomato. That of all the hybrids,, I really like. In the last few years my girl friend always grows 2 on her balcony and we eat them like candy. Not that i want to *push a hybrid* but try it again one more time NEXT year!!LOLOLO she really is a sweetie of a mater.

• tracey_nj6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mmmmmmmmm, I love those Juliets, but didn't grow them this year. I tried "Jellybean", which has produced alot of tomatoes, but they're nothing special. I had to purchase plants this year, since the woodchuck devoured all of my wintersown babies, and picked up an heirloom. So far, I haven't gotten one ripe tomato from it yet!

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

The birds found out that they like tomatoes this year. They peck them off and fly off with them - the cherries that is.

• tomstrees
    17 years ago

Where are you guys ? North NJ ?
    I live in central NJ , and while
    this was no "banner" year, I was still
    able to get a decent harvest ~
    I was still able to harvest a number of different
    varieties consitantly ~
    My famil up North, did report it
    was nothing to write home about ~

Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1065346}}

• carol_se_pa_6
    17 years ago

I had a terrible year for tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and cukes down at the Jersey shore. Nothing, nada, zilch but for a few measley stragglers. I thought my soil had lost its nutrients!

I'll try again next year!

• tomstrees
    17 years ago

carol_se_pa_6 -

Have you tried mending your garden by using seaweed ?
    I use it for mulch, and add it to my compost pile and till it in every fall -
    I really replenishes the nutrients lost with our
    heavy feeding mato's & peppers ~

Tom

• goodground
    17 years ago

I have been eating large tomatoes for quite some time now. I think I may be running out of fresh tomatoes in about a week or so. Plenty of Cherokee Purples this year. I'm in North Jersey in Morris County. I have been fortunate to buy a house that has a terraced garden which gets full sun. I mean full sun until it gets dark. I gave plenty away and froze plenty and still have some in the fridge and some on my kitchen counter. I'm glad to say I'm not in your company this year. Last year was just as good. Microclimate plays a large part in your harvest.

• njmastergardener
    17 years ago

I'm in burlington county and I'm just starting to get a good harvest. I did get to do some canning last week. But not as many tomato's as last year.

• njmastergardener
    17 years ago

*Blushing* my tomato's are making me eat my words. I just picked 4 peach baskets full. I'm gonna be busy now!!

• Dolli
    17 years ago

I'm there with the most of you. We had a lot of tomatos but they where so small, and very tasty. I planted Big Boys, but next year I'll go back to Jersey Girls. I've had the best luck with those

• tracey_nj6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I finally got a large ripe one; I believe it was "Goliath", and unfortunately, it was HORRIBLE!

Another woodchuck seems to be enjoying them, and I don't even care!

• njtea
    17 years ago

Yesterday I pulled my tomato plants out and found 4 green or semi-ripe fruits which I immediately fried in bacon fat. Yum, yum!

• shuber
    17 years ago

I, too, had great success with grape tomats, but no big boys. Rutgers tells me it's all due to the weather we had this year. The grapes will grow in any weather. There's always next year.

• tomstrees
    17 years ago

I had a fall BLT last night ...
    this weekend should finish my season ~
    This was a random 2.4lb large amish paste
    fruit that "had a good spot" in the mater patch ...
    I had lots of big guns this year ~
    Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1065348}}

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES