Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonyb416

crape myrtles

tonyb416
18 years ago

Anyone have any luck growing crape myrtles in New Jersey? We picked up a 2-gallon pot in Virginia (Raspberry Sundae), on our way back from the Outer Banks. I've planted this in a sunny spot that gets about 10 hours of sunlight. We have above average draining soil.

I've been told I need to put down 4 inches of mulch and even burlap-protect the trunk during the first winter. Any advice and feedback is most welcome.

--Tony

Comments (7)

• tropicalguyNJ
    18 years ago

Hi, I've been growing Crepe Myrtles in central and northeast New jersey for years. It all depends on the variety and site. If you live south of I-195 you can grow really any variety. If you live north of I-80 I would stick with the really hardier ones like Tonto and Natchez and mulch heavily and even spray the stems with Wiltproof. I don't know what area you are from, but your site sounds fine as long as it isn't exposed to those killer, awful northwest winds that we get in winter.

• tonyb416
    Original Author
    18 years ago

oh, oh, northwest winds...hmmm....better put up a windbreak and fast.

I'm in Hunterdon county, outside of Flemington. I don't know if Raspberry Sundae is a hardy variety up here.

Here's the write up from the National Arboretum Web site:

RASPBERRY SUNDAEÂ
    (Carl E. Whitcomb, Information Sheet, 7/29/91): Selected from over 65,000 seedlings. The base of the flower petal is raspberry red while the outer portion is white. Flower heads large, showy. Flowering begins later than normal; under Oklahoma conditions, it begins early August and continues until cool weather stops growth.. Plants have not set seed. Growth habit is a dense pyramidal upright; branching is prolific-an excellent tree form with a minimum of pruning and staking. Lvs. are medium green and smaller than the typical species. Leaf retention is very good, with plants 3' tall having a dense foliage mass such that no individual branches can be seen. RASPBERRY SUNDAEÂ experienced no dieback in the field from winter temperature of -5oF, -2oF, and 0oF, but was killed to near the soil line at -13ïF. Spring regrowth was rapid and normal. In Oklahoma and Texas powdery mildew has not been a problem; aphid susceptibility unknown; flea beetle damage has occurred. Cuttings root quickly and easily, whether softwood, semi-hardwood, or hardwood. Expected to apply for a plant patent.
    (David Byers, Crapemyrtle A GrowerÂs Thoughts, p. 80. 1997): Each bloom is pinkish-red with a white edge, from which the name "sundae" comes. In full sun and hot summer days, the variegated flowers tend to be more red than pink. It has dark burgundy foliage and the habit it tall and columnar. Whitcomb says he has found terminal cuttings more often grow a plant with a central leader. Some powdery mildew in North Alabama but reported to be mildew free in Oklahoma and Florida. It blooms heavily in the hottest years. It will grow to about fifteen feet tall and has been exposed to -5ïF winter cold with hardly any damage. Like most crapemyrtle it roots and transplants very easily. Whitcomb named it Lagerstroemia indicaWHIT I and added the trademarked name RASPBERRY SUNDAEÂ. This addition to the crapemyrtle world was patented and introduced in 1996.
    (Dr. Carl Whitcomb, Lacebark Inc., Stillwater, OK. "Five New Crapemyrtle", undated, unpubl. sheet received May, 1999 at U.S. National Arboretum, Washington , DC ): Lagerstroemia indica WHIT I, RASPBERRY SUNDAEÂ CRAPEMYRTLE. U.S. Plant Patent #10297.
    = WHIT I.

Sounds like I'm in good shape for hardiness.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

There are plenty up here in the morris - bergen - passaic county area. Not sure about all the varieties though. Worth a try, I think.

• steve_nj
    18 years ago

I see crapes around Flemington. You got good cultural advice. Also, fertilize once with 5-10-5 in spring only. This way the growth will harden off properly. Expect dieback in Hunterdon county only in the coldest winters.

• lovescritters
    17 years ago

Has anyone ever tried to grow these in large pots or containers? I have a lovely Oleander growing in a large pot in my house. I got from my brother who lives in TX. Here it is the first of Feb. and it thinks it's spring!!It is blooming!! My sister got a Myrtle from the same brother and she is having a lot of problems with it. I was wondering if anyone can give some advice on growing the Myrtle in a pot as a houseplant. Thanks for your time, Dar S.

• steve_nj
    17 years ago

They can be grown in tubs and put into a garage over winter. The smaller growing varieties are more suitable for this.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

I have at least two neighbors who do this.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner