Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Invasive grasslike weed in lawn

Posted by njgreenguy Woodbridge (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 05 at 17:21

Can someone help me identify a light green grasslike weed that has appeared in my lawn for the last few years. It seems to appear in mid August each year and is easy to spot, since it it grows very upright and much faster than the surrounding turf grasses. The only control that seems to work is pulling each and every plant as it appears. They come out rather easily but reappear each year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Invasive grasslike weed in lawn

Sounds like Nut Sedge to me. A lovely plant which I have to thank my neighbors for....and my township's free compost. Here is a link that describes it

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/4000/4010.html

o

This weed which looks just like grass is fine and delicate. It is one of the first grasses to come up in the spring. As soon as temps rise the grass goes yellow. It is easily taken out in clumps as if one would be peeling away a carpet. It is very invasive. If I were to take it out right now, I would have many bare patches in my very small area of lawn. What type of weed is this and how can I get rid of it.
I live in Washington DC

o

Take a look at Japanese stilt grass and see if it matches. If it does, very little kills it except glysophate(Round Up). You have to pull it up by hand.If it doesn't match, go to Rutger's Website and I believe there is a weed photo gallery there...this response is probably too late.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here