Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_nj

Who went to the PHS Plant Dividend?

steve_nj
18 years ago

Today we went to the Penn Hort Society's Plant Dividend. The plants (donated by PHS members and nurseries) were a treat and the weather was pleasant. The refreshments were not as good as in the past and PHS seemed to be 'pushing' an overpriced hotdog vendor. I don't think many were buying the expensive vendor food. Our plant selections included a Red Meideland rose, Larix, and Abies.

Comments (2)

• Annie_nj
    18 years ago

Hi Steve - I didn't go this year, wanting to go to the Garden Fair at Winterthur instead. I wasn't that inpressed with the PHS swap last year, the hurricane probably didn't help and perhaps my expectations were too high. I really enjoyed the Garden Fair this year.

Annie

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Hey Steve - I was there. It was a beautiful day, particularly considering that last year, it rained the whole time thanks to the remants of I think Hurricane Ivan. Eek.

I managed to pick up a Virginia sweetspire & a Clethra 'Ruby Spice', and also decided to try a Solo Papaya (a for the heck of it plant as I've been fascinated by those). Also bummed a plant from my mother's alotment (picked out an unnamed beautyberry cutting) as she chose 2 hostas and didn't want anything else. I still have a passiflora edulis (purple fruiting) from last year that grew out of control and needs to be transplanted again before I bring it in with its cousin (a yellow fruiting variety) bought from elsewere about 3 years ago.

I need to decide what to do with those temperate shrub babies as a container gardener. Ack! I may treat them like I did my first redtwig dogwood that I got bareroot in a box from Frank's a few years ago, which I kept outside its first winter in a protected spot near the balcony door. These little guys aren't much smaller than that was when I first got it. The redtwig is now in a 16" container for its 3rd winter.... lol. I had a camillia from last year's divide that did well inside last winter, was put outside this spring, even bloomed (off season as that one was supposed to be a fall-bloomer), but then by midsummer, it suddenly upped and died. :-( Same happened to a magnolia I got last year from the divide.