Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njcher

anybody else have grasshoppers?

njcher
20 years ago

Something was chewing up my plants in a big way. Other than a groundhog, I've never had a pest do such damage to plants. Whatever it was completely devoured my okra crop this year, chewing the leaves off and making it take so long for the plants to recover that I was only able to cut about 20 okra all summer.

It also chewed the leaves off my zinnias. I have a couple of large areas completely covered with morning glories. One morning I went out and this pest had chewed off the entire top where the morning glories went over the trellises and fencing.

I could not imagine what this was but then one day I saw a single grasshopper. I am sure there are more where he came from.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Cher

Comments (13)

• aspen178
    20 years ago

I've seen more grasshoppers this year than in the fifteen years I've been at this location. I'm not noticing too much damage, but I'm not paying much attention since it's the end of the season. I'm curious about what they like to munch on. Some of them are HUGE, almost 2 inches long! I thought birds liked them--good protein? :) How about chocolate covered?

• amf55nj
    20 years ago

I had tons in Rockaway. I could not imagine what was devouring the buddleia, which fortunately was growing rapidly. They even ate some of the mint. I tried to grow okra, as well, this year, and I just saw my first two pods yesterday. I better heat up the frying pan before they get those, too.

• CoolDoggy
    20 years ago

I have lots of them ..But they haven't caused so much damage as you describe. I don't like them no matter what..!! I don't see them around when it is raining or until a few days after the rains. Was wondering why.!!??

• njcher
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I did some research on them and what I found isn't good. For one thing, they are virtually impossible to eliminate as adults so getting them in the nymphal development stage is what is recommended. This means finding where they are hatching. Also, fall cleanup is very important.

They hate cilantro and this is recommended as a deterrent. They also hate peas and sweet clover.

A biological control is nosema lucustae, which is a naturally occurring protozoan that causes disease and death in grasshoppers (and crickets). You spread wheat bran flakes, into which spores of the parasite are impregnated, around the garden. When the grasshopper ingests it, the spore ruptures and activates the disease. This makes the grasshopper slow and thus easy prey for the birds. This spore is not toxic to birds, animals or other insects. Like many organic techniques, this is not an "instant" cure; it takes time and is looked at as an overall long term practice that will control the pest.

What I can't figure out is why grasshoppers this year? They are known to love dry climates. I never in a million years thought I'd be battling grasshoppers in NJ (Nebraska or Oklahoma, maybe) but not in the wettest year in NJ history.

Tomorrow I'm going through my garden leaf by leaf. I hope I find where they're hatching.

If anyone wants this file, email me at NJCher@yahoo.com. It's a pdf file and is full of information and resources.

Cher

• skatayama
    20 years ago

I'm close to the Raritan Bay and I've noticed black crickets everywhere. I was hoping that with all the birds around here something would eat them. Or that some enterprising kid would catch them to undercut the pet stores. I hate to use chemicals but may resort to it this winter.

• njcher
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I ordered the bran flakes that gives the grasshoppers a disease. It is at the tail end of the expiration date but I want to get a start on giving them the disease.

I was also advised by Eric at Biocontrol Network that dusting plants with DE will help. The grasshopper eats the sharp little pieces and well, you can guess. He also recommended spraying with pyrethrum.

Now I'm distressed because they gobbled up two hydrangeas I put in this spring.

Cher

• Lulu73
    20 years ago

These horrible grasshoppers just devoured my tomato plants and the tomatoes altogether. They also wiped clean my rose bushes. No more leaves! And it's true, some of them are just huge. That's disgusting! I try to repel one of them from the tomatoes, it would not go away. What are they doing here in NJ???

• maggie_
    20 years ago

I use the nolo bait every spring & while I do have some hoppers, I live in a very wooded area with 14 acres & have had minimal damage.

• njcher
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I started noticing damage on May 1. It's not too bad but it's in the same area as the extensive damage from last year. Prob'ly little babies that will grow up to devastate my entire garden this year.

Just for the record.

Cher

• axeman
    19 years ago

Isn't this the year of the 17 year cicada infestation? Sure you're not seeing Cicadas?

They're supposed to come out in early May. Like, right about now, go check outside.

• tom_in_nh
    19 years ago

I've had 'em in NH last year and this year. Significant damage this year - killed all but 3 marigolds (I guess I no longer believe marigolds drive bugs away!). Mine are mostly small, about 1/2", and brown. I have seen some green ones. They are mostly not much trouble, but they do take a liking to certain plants, usually just after I set them out in the garden, and they cluster all over those particular plants. I've found that garlic/hot pepper spray seems to irritate them if you spray it on them, otherwise it doesn't really seem to do much to discourage them. It may be causing them to feed more slowly.

• carney
    19 years ago

The other day I saw a big (almost 4" long) grasshopper chomping away on the tender new leaves of my favorite Michelia alba. He seemed oblivious to my presence so I quietly sneak to my garden shed and got a spray can of insecticide for flying insects--I admit it didn't say "hopping" insects. I gave him a full blast of the spray, but he didn't move a muscle! After the second blast, he jump to the retaining wall where I smashed it with a piece of board I found nearby. These buggers seem invincible!

• prinsezzj_comcast_net
    16 years ago

I was watering my garden the other morning and out of my enormous Yarrow sauntered a GIGANTIC grasshopper! Looked at me like "How dare you disturb my slumber?!" I'm not joking when I tell you this monster was 3 inches long! Then a little while later I found a few more that were a little smaller, but at least 2 inches... I'm also battling an infestation of crickets this year, both black crickets and the more aggressive camel crickets. They wait for me to open my front door and try to hop in! I'm glad I have a cat that is a phenomenal bug hunter, but what's with all the bugs this year??? I even have a cricket in the wall in my bedroom. I don't know what to do to get it out, but it sounds like it's somewhere behind the light switch. I'm totally grossed out!