Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic

Posted by OurBackYard South Jersey (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 4, 05 at 22:20

Anyone ever try growing garlic? Tried searching the Veggie Forum w/ no luck. When to plant, good source for bulbs, good or bad experience in South Jersey?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic

I grow garlic every year. It's so easy. Plant in fall. Harvest in mid summer! I love it! I've had NO problems 4 years strait. Very easy to grow. Here's a link that got me started.

Skip

Here is a link that might be useful: The Garlic Store

o

Thanks Skip,
the Web Site is great.
Two Questions... any place local to buy bulbs in SJ and where do you "Cure" yours? ... the site says to put it in the shed ... don't know about your shed, but mine is not 70 degrees in the summer nor is it low humidity! Looking forward to giving it a try in the next week or so, soon as I can get some bulbs either local or through the Garlic Store. Again, thanks

o

I go to the local market, (Shop Rite), and find the biggest bunch of garlic I could find, (but not elephant garlic, it's not a "true" garlic), then seperate the cloves and plant them. I hang the harvested garlic with leaves on, and tied in a bunch in my garage. It's not 70 degrees or low humidity, but it seems to do the trick. Sometimes you can only make due with what you can. My father would always hang it in the utility room where the washer, dryer, & heater was.

There's nothing wrong with growing elephant garlic, but I just like the regular garlic better. I've always wanted to try some of the different types on that web site, but always find myself running to the store at the last minute to buy a bunch of garlic and get it in the ground before it gets too cold out.

Skip

o

Skip, thanks for the help! Every year we go to Cooperstown in the fall and I buy some tasty garlic up there at a farm. I think I'll use that as we like the taste of it, and also since I missed the cut-off date for the Garlic Store.

o

Hi
Can you eat "uncured" garlic--right from the ground? It may be a dumb question, but I'd like to know. What is the difference between "cured" and "uncured" garlic? Thanks for the info in advance.
Pat

o

Curing garlic properly means it will store better. You can eat uncured garlic.

o

Garlic in the markets is almost always the 'softneck' kind and not a good kind for the northeast. Better is the hard neck which can't be braided but has a stiff stem sticking up in the center of the head. But anything purchased from a northeastern garlic grower would do fine. I got my start of German Red from a local grower and am now growing it along from my own cloves.

o

This is my 1st year to plant garlic. After planting I covered my rows with mulch to add protection from the winter and to minimize the weed growth in the spring. They have taken off so well I have growth already (4 to 6 inches). I'm concerned that unless I do something to protect them they will die. Should I be concerned? Should I cover the new growth with additional mulch? Need advice. Thank you.

o

Is there anything specific i should look for with buying garlic at shoprite? I'd want to know if I should find something labeled organic or the like so I know the garlic would grow.

o

As mentioned before, the garlic found in grocery stores is usually a softneck variety - they have a longer shelf life. If I had to settle for grocery store garlic for planting, I would choose an organic one. I keep reading that garlic and certain other veggies are treated to prevent sprouting, but if you've ever left garlic, onions, potatoes or sweet potatoes in your cabinet too long, you've probably seen them start to sprout anyway.

There are places from which you can still order garlic planting stock. Check Landreth Seed, Parks, Burpee. October is ideal for planting in our region, but I have planted in mid November with good results. If possible, it's best to get the cloves into the ground while it is still warm enough to get some root growth going, but not essential.

Hardneck garlics are said to be better suited to our region, and they have more of the healthful substances for which garlic is known. That being said, there are softneck varieties that will do OK in our area and have amazing taste as well.

If you find a hardneck variety to plant, just remember to cut the scapes off in spring when they begin to curl. These are "topsetting" garlics and you want the plant to put all its strength into developing a large bulb, not the bulblets and flowers that would develop on top of the scape. These scapes are edible - taste like a cross between garlic and scallions - keep well in the crisper drawer of your fridge.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here