Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
datdog

Frost/Freeze last night.....

Datdog
15 years ago

How did I not see that coming? Seriously!!! I didn't even checked the weather forecast the last couple of days. I don't have ONE tropical plant inside my house. I'm looking outside at a yard full of frosted/froze plants that needed to come in. What a mess. Anyone else get caught off guard? What to do now?

Comments (10)

• mprats
    15 years ago

I can see how you were caught off guard, we were lucky last year to have a longer season than usual.

The frost must not have been that bad where I live because my dahlias were ok this morning.

• steve_nj
    15 years ago

There was scattered frost here, but not a killing frost. I have some partly wilted Colocasias, but that's about it. Although houseplants have come indoors, I've not dug Brugmansias or tender bananas.Frozen tops will regrow if plants are brought indoors.

• Datdog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mprats it really did seem early this season I know the first few frost are so light they never seem to do much damage at all. Not so this time. My begonia collection is mush. Once it thaws a bit I'm going to go out there and cut back the frozen foliage- hopefully they will come back. Glad to hear you didn't get much frost at all.

Steve Your always one step ahead of the game. Glad you only got a little bit of frost. I'm not worried too much about the brugmansia's as I cut all of the foliage off anyway but it looks like a lot of the main branches are toast. My bananas look horrible but and have even collapsed in on themeselves. Off to start cutting back and digging things up...

• tracey_nj6
    15 years ago

No killing frost here either, except for my potted coleus; they were really hurting this morning. Grounded dahlia unscathed, for now. I didn't see it coming either, although I did go outside at 11pm last night, and dang, was it cold. I did put a sheet around my tomato plant that had the 2 most beautiful green tomatoes on it. It was a reseeder from last year, therefore late to produce anything to date, except these 2 beauties. I'm not willing to let Mother Nature take them! Luckily the plant is right next to the house, so I might be able to "save" them for the time being...

• greensingh
    15 years ago

They put out the frost warning by afternoon. Gave me enough time to take cuttings from the coleus and sweet potato vines. The SPV looked toast but the dahlias are holding up. One tomato plant is still loaded so covered that as well.
    Steve, I forgot to ask you about a plant I got at your swap. It says "Sun dance" on the tag but I forgot the name of the plant you gave me.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    15 years ago

Oh Datdog! That is terrible about your begonias but save the roots and stems. Last year I let the frost knock back my begonias because they were too big. It wasn't the greatest idea but they lived and most have just recovered their looks. Fortunately, I brought everything in Sunday. My husband thinks I'm insane. I just tell him I'm nothing compared to Steve and Melody!

• steve_nj
    15 years ago

The plant labeled 'Sundance' is Choisya ternata (Mexican Orange). You may have seen it toward the back next to the oakleaf hydrangea. Here's a picture of it in Trenton, in front of a Trachycarpus.

{{gwi:1065572}}

• greensingh
    15 years ago

Steve, that is exactly the plant and it looks gorgeous. Hardiness is listed for Zone 8. Do you bring it inside or does it come back from roots with mulch? I can grow it as an indoor if it doesn't. I hope you check this, otherwise I will ping you offline.
    Thanks,
    Manny

• steve_nj
    15 years ago

It survives in an open area with some bleaching and tip damage, but grows 4 to 6' and blooms well. It rots easily in containers.

• greensingh
    15 years ago

Thats interesting Steve. Even though the hardiness Zone is listed as 8a, a zone 5a reviewer lists it as evergreen on the other forum. Thats a huge gap. Maybe I can get away by not planting in the protected south side?

Sorry for the hijack, OP.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner