Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fast-growing fruit tree for kids to grow

Posted by elmalako NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 07 at 10:20

Hello!
I hope this isn't a totally crazy question...
I volunteered to plant fruit tree seeds with my high-functioning-autistic son's class.
Can anyone recommend a good seed to plant indoors in November that might show some growth by January, and will hopefully eventually bear kid-friendly fruit?
I hope that's not a really tall order !
Thanks very much!
-Elyssa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fast-growing fruit tree for kids to grow

Maybe you should try the fruit and orchard forum. I don't know of any tree that is that fast to go to fruit, it takes at least a few years. Maybe some kind of berry like a strawberry? What about peppers or cherry tomatoes or beans? See if they have some better ideas over there. Also there are a few other edible type forums here you might scan through.
Maybe you could call a company like Pinetree Seeds or Johnny's and see if they can recommend something. Also, some of these seed companies have days to harvest in their catalog. Radishes and lettuce grow very fast but I'm not sure how much kids will like a radish. At least they are colorful. There are colorful lettuces too.
I grew crabapples with my kids once. We germinated the seeds in the refrigerator in a moist towel placed in a ziplock. It took 5 months just for the roots to show. After that, they only grow a few inches a year until they take.

Here is a link that might be useful: fruit and orchard forum

o
RE: Fast-growing fruit tree for kids to grow

avocados?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here