Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pine trees diseased?

Posted by deb_w_nj z6 NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 9, 06 at 12:34

I have noticed many dead and dying pine trees in Somerset & Hunterdon Counties. Is there some kind of disease or infestation? I just noticed some on my street and was wondering if there is something I should do to protect my trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pine trees diseased?

White pines seem to have some disease, but I don't know what it is.

The my tree guy said he had a customer with over 25 white pines on her property and over half of them have died off just in the last year or so. She was contacting Rutgers but he's not told me if she found out what is happening.

o

Deb, it just occurred to me that perhaps what you are seeing is the natural browning and dropping of needles that white pines do at this time of the year. If that's it, then there is nothing to be concerned about.

o

I wish it were just a recent observation. I have been noticing it increasingly all summer as well.

o

My husband and I live in Gloucester County on the edge of the NJ Pinelands, and we've noticed the same thing. Our lot is predominately pitch and Virginia pines, changing gradually to oak because of lack of fire. However, over the past 5-6 years we've noticed more and more healthy pine trees just falling over and dying. Old, young, doesn't seem to matter. As far as we know, the drainage hasn't changed, but we haven't checked for insects or anything. It's very distressing, and I'd love to know what it could be and what to do about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here