Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
court623

fall flower options

court623
13 years ago

What are some notions for late blooming plants (perennials). My garden is now looking sad.

Comments (10)

• court623
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Options. Sorry.

• steve_nj
    13 years ago

Chrysanthemums, Eupatoriums, Alstroemeria,Anemone, fall Crocus, Colchicum, Camellia sasanqua, C. oleifera. Next spring, consider Salvia guaranitica, S. uliginosa, and S. elegans; the latter too tender for ground freezing areas. Although not perennial in areas where the ground freezes, Lantanas flower all season up to killing frost.

Lantana camara 'Miss Huff' perennial here with a good mulch. 5 feet high!

Trachys, Lantana horridula, L. camara 'Miss Huff'
    That was last year. This year they regrew and were 5' by 5' and hid the palms in between!
    {{gwi:1065735}}

• agardenstateof_mind
    13 years ago

Chelone is past its prime, but still giving some color; anemone 'Whirlwind' about at peak; tradescantias coming back for an encore; obedient plant in full floom; Montauk daisy just starting its show; agastaches still have a few blooms ... visited by slow-moving bumble bees. Reblooming irises would be opening later this month, but I divided them this year so no fall show until 2011.

Shrubs, not perennials, but glossy abelia is still blooming, weigela 'Rubidor' has a light late bloom, and most of the hydrangeas still have their flowers, now darkening with age and getting an antiqued look. Itea 'Henry's Garnet' is showing good fall foliage color, and the fothergillas will turn later this month.

Scarlet runner beans are still going strong on the teepee, and some of the roses are still blooming.

Asters should be in bloom now, too.

• mindysuewho
    13 years ago

My knockout roses are blooming like crazy. They usually continue to bloom until around Thanksgiving.

• tracey_nj6
    13 years ago

I purchased Liatris squarrulosa back in 2008 and it recently started blooming, possibly 10 days ago. Mine is about 4' but it flops horribly. It does need support but the bees love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liatris squarrulosa

• therlam
    13 years ago

Hardy ageratum is incredible right now, the sages are good too: Mexican bush sage--the flowers are purple and fuzzy, pineapple sage, black & blue. Montauk daisys are spectacular--3 plants covered about 20 square feet, the Monarchs loved them. Agastache Acapulco Orange, Coleus & marigold are so colorful now,Lavender is picking up again,. Butterfly weed--asclepias curassavica red or yellow--though it makes me miss the Monarchs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy ageratum

• jibd
    13 years ago

Joe-pye-weed! It gets VERY tall though, don't know if that's an issue. But the butterflies love it! Also, therlam, I think you might be referring to Tropical Milkweed (Asclepias curassavica). I believe that is the annual milkweed, so I agree, that should still be blooming.

• agardenstateof_mind
    13 years ago

Bugbane (cimicifuga ramosa) 'Hillside Black Beauty' is in full bloom. The flower spikes are tall, but the leaves are only about 1.5-2'.

• birdgardner
    13 years ago

End of October - bush sages going strong. Salvia coccinea also, self-sowing annual. Asters - Fanny's, Purple Dome and Hella Lacy I think. Not perennial, but black-eyed Susan vine, lantana, brugmansia, impatiens, canna and begonia are not quitting. Think plants with good leaves - small Jap. maples, oak leaf hydrangea, tall grasses and their plumes, planted where the low sun will shine through them.

• agardenstateof_mind
    13 years ago

Wow! What a show the Sheffield mums are putting on this year! (They look like blushing daisies.)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?