Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to plant ?

Posted by katsmah Z 6B NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 28, 05 at 18:14

I'm in Bergen County. A month and a half ago I had to pull up all of my foundation shrubs in front of my house so the workers could take out my old porch and put in a new one with new footers. The shrubs were pretty hastily dug out and temporarily replanted in the back yard as the job was supposed to be done in a couple of weeks. Due to every delay possible, the job will now probably be completed the week of 11/7.

Is it too late to replant my foundation shrubs at that point? I have some azalias, hydrangeas and crape mytle.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to plant ?

Hey, Katsma. I'm in Bergen Co. too! I've seen landscapers plant shrubs all crazy times of the year - but these were potted or B&B shrubs with secure rootballs. I'm not sure if your scenario is the same. If you dug them again and replanted with winter just around the corner, you run the risk of them not settling in before the cold weather hits. On the other hand, if we have a mild December, you're in luck. I'd say it's a toss-up.
I'm surprised to hear you can grow Crepe Myrtle around here - I thought they were only hardy to Zone 7. What's your secret?

o

You can plant anytime. You need to mulch well and remember to water, even in the middle of winter. I've had trees planted the first week in January and they've done fine.

o

The ground hasn't been freezing hard in south Somerset County until the end of December. Mulch them well to delay freezing. Burlap wrap might help too.

I've got a couple small magnolias I should have moved but I believe I'll wait for spring.

o

The plants have already been recently moved. The roots will still be loose. Probably fate has already decided what will or won't make the winter. You're not going to know for sure until next growing season. I would do it.

o

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try replanting the hydrangia and the azalias and will mulch them well. Hopefully they can reistablish before winter sets in and I won't have any loss.

jerseygirl, I bought the Crape Mytles at Fairfield garden center 4 yrs ago. One died after 2 years and I had to replace it, but the other has done well. Unfortunately that one didn't appear to survive the move well, so I don't have high hopes for next year. They take forever to get going in the spring and don't bloom until the end of August but they are really pretty when they do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here