Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

Any Other Local Garden Forum More Active?

This forum is really quiet. So I just wonder if there is a more active regional place for NJ area gardeners.

Comments (17)

• eterprincess
    9 years ago

I haven't seen any of the regional groups all that active unfortunately. Maybe we can revive this one?

• agardenstateof_mind
    9 years ago

Many of the regional forums have been disappointingly quiet. I check in regularly and am all for reviving this one. I'm in coastal Monmouth County.

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    9 years ago

Ditto what others said. I check in here often and would love to chat with "locals".
    So now that fall is here, and remembering our last harsh winter, is anyone else approaching this winter differently? I am in process of winter protecting a hydrangea that suffered winter kill of buds last winter and didn't bloom.

• achang89
    9 years ago

There is not really anything we can do about extreme weather. The borderline hardy plants are always at risk. My neighor lost their fig down to the roots every year even they wrap the tree every year.

• agardenstateof_mind
    9 years ago

Jerseygirl, your post is post is a good one to get things going. I suggest reposting this as a new thread for better exposure.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First frost of the year?

• agardenstateof_mind
    9 years ago

RedSun - good topic. It would be interesting to see where first frosts are coming in. It would be great to start a new thread, using your succint post as title.

Still in the high 40's-mid-50's at night here in my coastal Monmouth area; we're usually safe until Halloween or later. However, just 20 minutes north, Middletown was supposed to get a light frost last night.

• eterprincess
    9 years ago

I think we may have gotten a light frost on Sunday morning, I woke up and it was 34 degrees in Hamilton, which means it was cooler when the sun wasnt up. I know my peppers seemed to get shocked, but the Dahlias are still perking, I hear we have to have a "freeze" for those to end.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My peppers are all frozen. So I picked up all the peppers on the plants.

• agardenstateof_mind
    9 years ago

If you're having early frosts, with warmer weather probably returning (as it is for us here in Monmouth County), try protecting your crops. A non-woven frost barrier is best (I have one that protects down to 27F), and will serve also to provide temporary shade to new transplants or a barrier against some pest insects, and is reusable.

I've not seen them in any local garden centers, so had to order online. Last year saw several rolls in, of all places, a Tuesday Morning ... for $3.00/roll!!! I should have grabbed them all.

Lacking the frost barrier, a sheet, lightweight blanket, or even light tarp will suffice.

It's hard enough to call it quits at the end of the season, harder still if you know there may wall be another 2-4 weeks of good weather on the way.

If you haven't already done so, now is the time to remove any flowers, as they'll never develop into fruit, so best let the plant put all its resources into those fruits already set and with a chance to make it to maturity before the frost gets them.

• steve_nj
    9 years ago

I post occasionally, but I'm usually in the garden. I grow ornamentals; woodies, camellias, broadleaved evergreens, perennials, variegates, etc. Fall-flowering Camellias flowering now through December. Board has been quiet. I think people have gravitated to other forums.

{{gwi:276467}}

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What is the last flower plant?

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    9 years ago

Beautiful camellias! Mine suffered last winter and didn't bloom. Do you protect yours in winter?

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Move to FL, everyone else up there did!! LOL! Our forum is pretty active all year.

• steve_nj
    9 years ago

Last pic is Illicium floridanum, an under-used broadleaved evergreen native to FL. & LA.

• steve_nj
    9 years ago

I mulch small camellias. Most are in the open and unprotected. Fall camellias are in bloom now.

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Maybe just need to get more posts! I only check in here once in a great while. More than a light frost this past day and I hope the rest of the winter is milder than last year. I am personally in north/central NJ on a small property but love my gardens. I have not gotten a Camellia yet! Great pics Steve! Where did you get your Camellias (Rarefind?) and what are your favorite cultivars? Also what is that variegated plant in your first picture?

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath