Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mucknmire

Camellia sasanqua 'Marti' blooming

mucknmire
17 years ago

After 3 years and barely surving it's first winter with horrendous dieback our Camellia sasanqua is finally starting to bloom. I had to move it to the most sheltered spot in our yard next to the dryer vent for it to bloom. Let's see if this forum will let me paste a couple of photos of it.

{{gwi:515451}}

{{gwi:1065838}}

Comments (8)

• mucknmire
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's another picture of it in full bloom.

{{gwi:515456}}

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Really, next to the dryer vent...I always thought that would be more stressful. Very pretty though. I like the first pic the best.

• mucknmire
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Loretta, all the growth is toward the house and dryer vent so I guess it likes the however brief warmth and humidity. The first picture reminds me of Marilyn Monroe...the shape of her dress over the subway vent.

• theroselvr
    17 years ago

It can be done because in Union County there is a red one that is close to 40 years old, planted by my dad. He sold the house this year, I wanted to have it dug up and moved to my house. I hope the new owners do not take it out; they have no clue how rare they are here.

Good luck. I really hope it lives for you.

• pontesmanny
    17 years ago

I have a camellia sasanqua Long Island Pink that is blooming this year. Also, Snow Flurry, Winters Interlude and Winters Star. Other than Snow Flurry they were all planted this Spring

• mucknmire
    Original Author
    17 years ago

roselvr, your fear was our reality. We lived in a townhouse rented from my dad. Spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars in plants and landscaping but moved to another state. He rented it to non-gardeners and the whole yard was pretty much devastated. We hated to go by the rental when we visited him. I hope you can rescue the camellia.

pontesmanny, funny that you have a much milder climate than the Trenton area. Your zone is so much more conducive to growing camellias....I envy you. I've seen a lot of camellias in the local nurseries this year but I wonder how many die because unsuspecting buyers don't realize they are pretty cold intolerant. Would love to see your camellias in bloom. If you have a free Photobucket account you can post the pictures in your message. Just create an account, upload pictures to your account. Below each picture there will be a tag line. Copy the code in the tag line box and paste it into your forum message.

• steve_nj
    17 years ago

Wind is a worse enemy than cold here. I have Camellia oleifera and about 7 C. sasanqua flowering now. Most are in moderately exposed settings.

• mucknmire
    Original Author
    17 years ago

steve nj, Your yard must be beautiful with all the Camellias blooming at the same time! I would love to have a single white Camellia but unfortunately we don't have any more space in the wind shadow of the house. I'm reassessing the wisdom of planting zone 7 plants in zone 6.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz