Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lawnkid

Covering fences with climbing plants and flowers

lawnkid
19 years ago

I have a 70ft X 4ft chain link fence on the back of my property which I wish to cover with climbing plants, IVY has been suggested. The area past this fence belongs to the county and it has been negleted. It also has a lot of garbage sitting there. Can you suggest an IVY or any other plants that will grow and cover my fence and, also how many would I need to plant and how far apart for the fence to be covered quickly. Maybe I could make a pattern of different climbing plants and flowers. I live in central NJ.

Thanks

Comments (29)

• Carrie B
    19 years ago

I would stay away from most ivy. Especially English Ivy, which once planted will take over your fence, house, garden, yard and entire neighborhood.

Also, most ivy grasps onto a support with little sticky "feet". For a chain link fence, I think you're better off with a vine that will twine around the fence wires.

I would look into clematis. There are many varieties, they have lovely flowers, and you can get ones that bloom anywhere from April to September.

• J Narvaez
    19 years ago

I haven't had much luck with clematis in central NJ. It would look nice, but I think it would take a huge effort to cover a fence of that size with it. Vines that have grown well for me (besides Ivy) are porcelain berry, kiwi, trumpet vine, crossvine, various honeysuckles, akebia and climbing hydrangea.

Actually, I'm surprised the ever-present wild grape, japanese honeysuckle, virginia creeper or poison ivy haven't already done the job for you.

• ellenh
    19 years ago

I've had good luck with Clematis. Two kinds grow very big and would be nice. A sweet autumn - blooms in the fall with small fragrant flowers. The second would be a Montana - mostly pink, fragrant and grows big. I've hear that the sweet autumn can be somewhat invasive though.

Ellen

• J Narvaez
    19 years ago

True, I've seen Sweet Autumn Clematis do very well. It would be a good choice. I haven't tried montana. I was referring to the large flowered hybrid clematis. I've found those to be rather finicky as far as soil/moisture/light conditions.

• ellenh
    19 years ago

I have an ernst Markham which does beautifully. My parents gave it to me and it did poorly in their yard. The biggest difference between our yards is the amount of sunlight. I have a very sunny spot, theirs was shady. They also had sand and I have clay. Montana have a smaller flower, bloom in the summer, and can be fragrant. They also grow very large, up to 25 feet tall/long. The large flowered ones are generally much smaller.

Ellen

• lawnkid
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you all for your advice!
    I am fortunate people around my area have tried this.

Jnarvaez: actually I had a combination of ivys (donÂt know the types) and poison ivy. Kids played around the yard so I eliminated them. I sprayed Poison Ivy killer and that took care of everything on the fence. Now I would like to choose what I want to see growing there, and thatÂs part of the reason for me posting these questionsÂ

In NJ, when should I plant these varieties of plants? Is next spring ok? What should I do to prepare the soil?
    Thanks for the help.

• ellenh
    19 years ago

It's getting kind of late to plant them now. It's probably really hard to find them too. Prep the soil now and planting in the spring would be very good.

Ellen

• lawnkid
    Original Author
    19 years ago

What do you to prep the soil? (fertilize, amend etc...)

• J Narvaez
    19 years ago

For most of these vines I don't think you need to do much soil prepping. The biggest chore is to keep the weeds back while the new plants get established.
    There are many ways to go about it, depending on how much physical labor and chemicals you want to use.
    One fairly easy approach I've tried is to mound about 8" of top soil along the base of the fence and let it settle over the winter. In the spring, set your new plants in the new soil and mulch a few inches. Then keep the weeds down either by hand or careful use of herbicide. The vines should grow fairly fast once it warms up, so just periodically refresh the mulch and keep monitoring for large weeds.

Morning Glories would be fast and fun, but if you want to shop for something more permanent take a look at forestfarm.com. They have a nice selection of many of the vines mentioned above.

• ellenh
    19 years ago

To me prepping the soil means removing grass from the area, turn over the soil adding lots of amendments, edge with whatever you're going to edge the garden with and then mulch heavily. In the spring, all you'll have to do is plant! I like to prep all my gardens since my soil is such a heavy clay. If I don't weeding can be tough because the weeds just don't like to pull up from the soil unless it's just rained. Planting is also easier.

Ellen

• GardenMom5
    19 years ago

I decided to plant a few monring glory plants this year. Well, they went crazy all oer the fence. Every time a seed pod matured, dropped more seed and then more plants. I a now taking the seed pods (amazing how many there are) and putting them along a back fence to hide the neighbor's empty yard next year.

deb

• Sally_D
    19 years ago

When I amend the soil I go to Home Depot and get bags of manure and put it down in the fall for the spring. Works great for me. Also, one trick with the clemetis is that it likes the soil on the sweet side so I put down some lime and I have about 10 growing all over the place. Sweet Autumn is beautiful and rampant. Great for a big cover.

• carlanne
    19 years ago

I wish I had a fence to grow vines. I love many vines, and I second all the recommendations you have received, but I'd like to add one - the hyacinth bean. It is a beautiful fast growing annual that would help cover the fence for a season or two if necessary, while the perennial vines get going. I have seeds from both the purple and white flowered vines and I'd be more than happy to send some to you for next spring.

• birdgardner
    19 years ago

I have seen a chain link fence covered with some kind of euonymous. It gives the effect of an evergreen hedge because it branches out horizontally for a foot or two. Boring but functional.

• ddkcat
    19 years ago

Another vote for morning glories - the [unplanned!] hit this summer was a fence full of six or seven kinds - they were a flower garden all by themselves!

• whitepetunia
    19 years ago

i had good luck covering a fence with hyacinth bean vine. it really took over. it is an annual though.

• maryz6nj
    19 years ago

mornning glories can be very evasive to . The seeds are hard , and will reseed prolificaly.I planted some a few years back. Now they are everywhere i dont want them and almost impossiple to kill.The seeds will sprout as far as 8 inc down in the soil.

• dragonfly_dance
    19 years ago

Trumpet vine and virginia creeper would be my choices asn well as a native honeysuckle. Japanese honey suckle, while it smells great, is highly invasive adn detrimental to other native speicies. But there is an American hone suckel that is red. If you add thatto the trumpet vine, you should make some new friends in the form of hummers. English Ivy?, ungh uh!!

• ofionnachta
    18 years ago

Trumpet vine can be very invasive but they are beautiful on ugly chain link fences. Try one of the less invasive varieties; I think "Monbal" which is red, is one of them. Also, never plant Engl. ivy anywhere!
    Depending on your soil & light, have you thought of climbing roses? *Not* Rugosa, another invasive pest, but the beauties like Zephirin Drouhin.
    I grew up with autumn clematis all around the neighborhood, maybe I should say taking over the neighborhood---it smells like heaven when blooming, but takes over everywhere it can. Watch out for it! If they could make a sterile version I would buy it in a minute, though. Nothing beats that scent.
    You could plant morning glories along with these other things, too. They are annuals, so even if they volunteer in places you don't want them, all you have to do is pull them out.

• figtreeundrgrnd
    18 years ago

Morning Glory...are they related to Bamboo?>) Can't get rid of them!!!(

• j0eg
    17 years ago

I'm in Central NJ too and have a similar situation. I'm replacing English Ivy growing at the house I just bought. Did I say growing? I meant consuming...

I'm leaning towards native honeysuckle (red or yellow var.) or maybe cross vine, they look pretty nice and aren't as agressive some other vines.

I saw virginia creeper mentioned several times, don't do it! It is extremely agressive and will grow out of control.

The porcelain berry is considered non-native invasive species, not a good option.

• actuary97
    17 years ago

Another thing that you need to consider is how the fence looks in winter. I also had a chain link fence of about the same length covered with a mixture of mystery weeds. It looked nice and green in the summer, but in the winter all of the leaves fell off and it looked like a chain link fence again. This year I finally yanked all of the crap off. (Actually It took two years, but whos counting).

I planted a combination of Ornamental Grasses, Russian Sage some other sun loving perennials in front of the fence. The idea is that I should still get some camouflage in the winter from the dead grasses.

Excelsior

Dave

• tiarella
    17 years ago

Lonicera sempervirens 'Alabama Crimson' is the name of the native honeysuckle. You can control it if you trim it back some- about 1/3. Lonicera heckrottii is not native nor any other name after lonicera save sempervirens. There is also a yellow form. Trumpet vine and Virginia creeper are also native to NJ although some people consider them as weeds. It takes about 3 years for any of these to establish themselves well. Clematis will take just as long and there are different types early midseason and Fall blooming. If you plant them correctly. Remember they want cool roots so plant them with their feet in the shade and their heads in the sun.

• rothwood
    17 years ago

I use Lonicera sempervirens, Virginia Creeper and Wisteria to cover my fences

• pammo
    17 years ago

How about climbing hydrangea?

Here is a link that might be useful: climbing hydrangea

• joannbrendan
    13 years ago

I have a white picket fence with an arbor. I dont want to cover i just want to add flowers and plants to both sides of fence. any ideas?

• agardenstateof_mind
    13 years ago

Oh, tons of ideas! We need to know a little more about the growing conditions: amount of sun, type of soil, what zone you're in (NJ has areas in 5, 6 and 7), how much maintenance you're willing to do, what look you're going for, what colors you like ...

I have a white picket fence with a variety of shrubs, perennials, and spring bulbs planted on both sides, some deep red roses hanging over. Sandy soil amended with organic matter, half-day sun, in zone 7. I love it and it works for me ... but maybe not right for you. So please tell us a little more.

• therlam
    13 years ago

Absoutely the best: Trumpet Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens)-- it will be like planting hummingbirds! It's not at all invasive by my deck. It has one trunk and can grows to about 8 feet tall. It's a bit wiry but will be nice on a fence. I love it because of the flowers and the hummers! The only problem I can imagine is weeding out the poison ivy that may grow where the birds land.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeysuckle

Sponsored
VA's Foremost Professional Roofing & Siding Craftsmen