Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frost tonight, jungle in the house

Posted by birdgardner NJ/ 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 05 at 20:07

as the dusk deepened and my toes chilled in my boots I dug up all the tenders and dh toted in the pots.

I can't believe how many darn plants I have to deal with! And I acquired so many fewer than I usually do! Missed the swaps, NJBG closed, stopped trading by May, put myself on a strict mail-order budget, walked by the Home Depot cheapies and skipped the sales.

now I've got sills full of tattered plants, slug and deer nibbled, harboring millepedes and even entire nests of sugar ants I am sure. We actually lived in harmony with the sugar ants in the lime tree last winter - if we saw them on the floor it was time to sweep the floor - otherwise they stayed in the tree and tended the scale...might be smart to spray prophylactically this year...

Maybe I'll get them looking like proper house plants by Christmas. Maybe.

I'm so glad for cannas and fuchsias and salvias and figs that can just go dormant in the cold room and be ignored for five months.

Gardening. phooey.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frost tonight, jungle in the house

Ditto!
I do hate bringing in those buggy pots! First there are the cuttings to deal with, then the pots that I hope to repot to get rid of as many of those millipedes and pillbugs as possible. I know I should disinfect the pots but I won't. Then there are the plants that need to be dug up and potted and brought in. Then the ones that have to go dormant then cleaned and bagged. Then you start thinking do I really want to keep this plant and I will stick with hardy plants next year. Are the abutilons so great? How much did I spend on these? Oh yeah, maybe I should try to save them...
Actually, I don't spend a lot on any single plant, it just adds up.
I don't mind the work but it always coincides with raking leaves and Thanksgiving.

o

• Posted by mprats z6NJ Plainfield (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 12, 05 at 9:07

In effect we had our first frost here last night. The dahlias are all wimpy, I was really hoping to break a record and have dahlias by Thanksgiving! In any event, I am glad I got a couple of extra weeks of flowers, and at least the roses are still blooming!

o

Well already I see a few little nats flying around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here