Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_nj

Pics of palms in Trenton

steve_nj
13 years ago

These are very drought tolerant.

Here are recent pics taken in downtown Trenton. These are at the Mercer County Courthouse.

a trachy

a trachy and Choisya ternata 'Sundance'

another trachy

Sabal Sp. 'Birmingham'

These are a few of the trachys behind the War Memorial.

Comments (4)

• woodnative
    13 years ago

Steve-
    I personally don't grow any palms......but I really enjoy seeing these photos. Thank you for taking the time to post them. I am a little further north in NJ, though not much, so it is nice to know these are possible. What is the original seed/germplasm source for these cold hardy palms?? This was quite a HOT and DRY DRY DRY (did I mention dry?) summer in central NJ, it is nice to see them thriving through the heat and dryness, as well as the cold winters!

• User
    13 years ago

Here's a pic of mine in North Jersey. This is its third winter.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• steve_nj
    Original Author
    13 years ago

njoasis, it appears your trachy has a lot of vigor. I grow trachys from seed; from Anniston, from a tree in Durham, and so-called takil. The largest quantity are from Durham; thick, rugged fans and vigorous growth. I have young seedlings of 'Greensboro' and from a trachy in Rehoboth Beach. In this pic, the 2 at each end are Durham and middle one is an Anniston; Anniston slower growing it seems.

• User
    13 years ago

I got my trachys from a grower in Georgia I believe. Haven't tried them from seed but good to know that they can be propagated from seed without too much trouble. There is another one in the front on the other side of the stairs. They both get full winter sun but one is protected somewhat from summer sun by maples in the summer season--still, they both get a lot of sun. I used to wrap the trunks but now do nothing. Don't know if the wrapping helped or not. I tend to think it might have made me feel better and the real factor they have gained in vigor is just time to get established in the ground. They say it takes about three full years for most any plant to really become established in the ground. This season I am also experimenting with a few other palms (Needles, Butia/Pindo, Mediterranean fan, and a Louisiana Sabal)--so far, so good. I do mulch them with black mulch and leaves. I get a little confused by the different varieties of T. fortunei. Supposedly, some varieties have more of a tendency to have their leaves bend. Mine has leaves that are rather large and do not bend. Can you tell from a picture which variety I have?--I can post a close up of a leaf if it helps. But I do find them fairly vigorous cultivars whatever they are.--They actually will start growing in March if not earlier they get so much winter sun!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022