Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Garden plans- newbie questions

Posted by ladybirdlove South Jersey (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 22, 09 at 21:17

I just created a garden plan, including 3 raised 4x8 beds for veggies and herbs, and a few trellises for beans and such. The area of yard I'm using for the garden gets full sun, but has poor drainage. I have a few questions.

1- Should I construct the beds now and start prepping the soil with mulch, or do I not need to do that because the soil will be fresh from the garden center? Should I just wait till I'm ready to plant in April?

2- Should I put some kind of stone under the soil in the beds to imrove drainage?

Thanks all :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Garden plans- newbie questions

You have a raised bed so you won't need stones. In fact, having that moisture reserve may be beneficial during hot, dry weather. Mulched soil stays cold longer in spring,so mulch when weather turns warm or hot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here