Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahtnamas_gw

Recommendation for flowers wanted

ahtnamas
16 years ago

I live in Maryland, but I need a recommendation for New Jersey flowers.

I want to plant a small flowering plant on my father's grave - he was always gardening. He is buried in New Jersey, Union County, Rahway. He always loved marigolds and zinnias, but I think they're impractical, as they are pretty much annuals, plus they look pretty sad when the foliage and flowers fade.

I would like a wildflower or perennial that re-blooms for a number of years, or a plant that re-seeds itself and blooms every year.

It should not grow more than 12-18 inches high, and be fairly compact. I only get to New Jersey a couple of times a year, so I cannot pinch flower heads or cut them, so it has to pretty much take care of itself.

Attractive foliage is a plus, maybe something that stays looking good even without flowers. A semi-evergreen, even? that does not spread?

Bloom time can be from late spring to anytime up to frost, the longer the better (I am planning on planting some crocus and daffodil bulbs, so that will take care of early spring). It should probably be a little drought-tolerant, as rain has been scarce the last few years and it will not get watered regularly.

The grave is in full sun in a perpetual care cemetery. The ground is reasonably well-drained and pretty good soil.

It has to be compact so as to not interfere with the groundskeepers, and take care of itself, so that it does not need attention; the cemetery does not have the personnel to care for this kind of thing.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting