Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
good local nurseries for native shrubs

Posted by woodlandpixie z6 NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 15, 05 at 16:04

I 'm looking for a good source for native plants and shrubs, specifically NJ tea and Itea Little Henry.
Pixie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: good local nurseries for native shrubs

I drive both to rare find nursery in Jackson, NJ and fairweather gardens in Salem county to get plants, but they both ship and both maintain catalogs on line. I have found both have very helpful staff. rarefindnursery.com and fairweathergardens.com are correct, I think.

o

Leaping Lizards in Basking Ridge has the Itea. However, I'm not certain about the New Jersey tea - I had to buy mine through a catalog.

o

Bogturtle, have you been to Fairwether other than their open house days? Where exactly are the located, as in a street address. I am very intrigued by their website and would like to locate another unusual source for plants in the area.

Kirk

o

I've seen that itea around at local nurseries.

o

NJTea,
What mail order source did you use for the njtea? Many
shrubs I receive from Wayside Gardens I lose in the first 2 yrs.
I think this is because they are born and bred for southern areas.
I lost the njtea that was growing nicely because I moved it in the fall ( I think).
Loretta,
Any specific nursery ? Pixie

o

Don't know where you're located, but the nursery I've linked to below is in Berkeley Heights and has the Itea. I think I have also seen it at quite a few of the larger nurseries near me.

I also had no luck finding New Jersey Tea locally and ended up using mail-order.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hall's Garden Center

o

Pixie, did you get my PM that said I though I'd got the New Jersey tea from ForestFarm?

o

Thanks for the ForestFarm reference NJTea , I didn't receive the PM. Thanks also Bogturtle, loris and loretta. I will try all the new sources. Both Rarefind and Fairweather were nurseries I was curious about. Glad to get a personal recommendation.
Pixie

o

I bought Itea from Home Depot

o

Here's a second vote for Bogturtle's reccommendations for
both RareFind Nursery and Fairweather Gardens, nurseries I visit no less than once or twice a season, especially RareFind which showcases all their hundreds of rhodies in a five-acre sandy woodland planting each Spring!

Another NJ nursery which carries both Itea 'Little Henry' and Ceanothus americanus (New Jersey Tea - this thread finally forced me to research that common name and discover it's botanical handle - thanks!) is Triple Oaks Nursery in Franklinville. I have also purchased the Itea at my all-time favorite "unknown" family operation in New Jersey: Pope's Gardens in Waterford (for less than $10.00)

A couple other mail-order, native-plant nurseries that I've used successfully: Niche Gardens in Chapel Hill, NC and Shooting Star Nursery in Kentucky (which HAS your NJ Tea)

Odie 99: Fairweather Gardens is NOT a retail nursery in usual sense - you can ONLY visit them on their 9 or 10 Open House Days each season. Their address in Greenwich is 1189 Sheppards Mill Road. I believe their website has a map and directions.

www.rarefindnursery.com
www.fairweathergardens.com
www.tripleoaks.com
www.popesgardens.com
www.nichegardens.com
www.shootingstarnursery.ccom

Carl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here