Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodlandpixie

good local nurseries for native shrubs

woodlandpixie
18 years ago

I 'm looking for a good source for native plants and shrubs, specifically NJ tea and Itea Little Henry.

Pixie

Comments (10)

• bogturtle
    18 years ago

I drive both to rare find nursery in Jackson, NJ and fairweather gardens in Salem county to get plants, but they both ship and both maintain catalogs on line. I have found both have very helpful staff. rarefindnursery.com and fairweathergardens.com are correct, I think.

• njtea
    18 years ago

Leaping Lizards in Basking Ridge has the Itea. However, I'm not certain about the New Jersey tea - I had to buy mine through a catalog.

• Odie99
    18 years ago

Bogturtle, have you been to Fairwether other than their open house days? Where exactly are the located, as in a street address. I am very intrigued by their website and would like to locate another unusual source for plants in the area.

Kirk

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

I've seen that itea around at local nurseries.

• woodlandpixie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

NJTea,
    What mail order source did you use for the njtea? Many
    shrubs I receive from Wayside Gardens I lose in the first 2 yrs.
    I think this is because they are born and bred for southern areas.
    I lost the njtea that was growing nicely because I moved it in the fall ( I think).
    Loretta,
    Any specific nursery ? Pixie

• loris
    18 years ago

Don't know where you're located, but the nursery I've linked to below is in Berkeley Heights and has the Itea. I think I have also seen it at quite a few of the larger nurseries near me.

I also had no luck finding New Jersey Tea locally and ended up using mail-order.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hall's Garden Center

• njtea
    18 years ago

Pixie, did you get my PM that said I though I'd got the New Jersey tea from ForestFarm?

• woodlandpixie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the ForestFarm reference NJTea , I didn't receive the PM. Thanks also Bogturtle, loris and loretta. I will try all the new sources. Both Rarefind and Fairweather were nurseries I was curious about. Glad to get a personal recommendation.
    Pixie

• pontesmanny
    18 years ago

I bought Itea from Home Depot

• hunt4carl
    18 years ago

Here's a second vote for Bogturtle's reccommendations for
    both RareFind Nursery and Fairweather Gardens, nurseries I visit no less than once or twice a season, especially RareFind which showcases all their hundreds of rhodies in a five-acre sandy woodland planting each Spring!

Another NJ nursery which carries both Itea 'Little Henry' and Ceanothus americanus (New Jersey Tea - this thread finally forced me to research that common name and discover it's botanical handle - thanks!) is Triple Oaks Nursery in Franklinville. I have also purchased the Itea at my all-time favorite "unknown" family operation in New Jersey: Pope's Gardens in Waterford (for less than $10.00)

A couple other mail-order, native-plant nurseries that I've used successfully: Niche Gardens in Chapel Hill, NC and Shooting Star Nursery in Kentucky (which HAS your NJ Tea)

Odie 99: Fairweather Gardens is NOT a retail nursery in usual sense - you can ONLY visit them on their 9 or 10 Open House Days each season. Their address in Greenwich is 1189 Sheppards Mill Road. I believe their website has a map and directions.

www.rarefindnursery.com
    www.fairweathergardens.com
    www.tripleoaks.com
    www.popesgardens.com
    www.nichegardens.com
    www.shootingstarnursery.ccom

Carl