Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbiehavinfun

Deep shade suggestions?

newbiehavinfun
15 years ago

Our problem: We bought a circa 1850 colonial house that has nothing in the front yard except a horseshoe driveway and some huge maples. Wait, that's not entirely true--there are two extremely leggy japanese hollies in front of two front windows.

The front of the house faces north and the maples give very dense shade. We would like the front garden to be more formal in keeping with the house, rather than a woodland style. Any suggestions for shrubs and flowers that can handle that kind of deep shade? I also bought some beautiful wrought iron windowboxes and have no idea what to put in them.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• steve_nj
    15 years ago

You're correct about deep shade limiting your choices, but you'll also be contending with shallow-rooted maples sucking the soil dry from spring through fall. First, many spring flower bulbs, such as daffodils, Scilla, Hyacinths, etc. can provide an attractive spring display and will go dormant as soil drys out. Just make sure you plant bulbs to their recommended depth. If you're willing to set up sprinklers several hours per week, you can grow Liriope (several varieties), variegated english ivy(slower than the green), Epimediums, bloodroot, and Mertensia virginica. Taxus, Aucuba, and boxwood(many varieties), and Ilex opaca will tolerate your conditions. Most of these things will grow slowly, but will eventually attain some size. Impatiens are an excellent choice for the window boxes.

• newbiehavinfun
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, steve! Those are great suggestions. The plan is still just in my head, but I'm thinking impatiens and vinca alba in the window boxes, with edging boxwood planters flanking the porch and aucuba or oakleaf hydrangea to the side of the house. The windows are 40" off the ground, so I could actually put some large plants in the boxwood planter. Do you think foxglove would bloom in those conditions?

• steve_nj
    15 years ago

Foxglove flowers in light shade, but will need to be watered.

• redbankgirl
    15 years ago

coleus do well in the shade too, and look great with white impatiens

• User
    15 years ago

I'm not sure they fit your desire for "formal" but Acuba japonica, camelias, ferns, ivy, bleeding heart, and hostas would be good for that exposure. Not sure about all hollies, but I have a Japanese holly that gets very little sun and thrives.

• newbiehavinfun
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions!

oasis,

Have you had success with camellias in New Jersey? I don't see them around much.

• steve_nj
    15 years ago

Camellias do well in light shade, but need moist, well-drained soil.

• User
    15 years ago

I've been growing Camellias for years in Metro NYC/NJ (zone 7) for years. A sheltered location really helps (protection from too much Summer AND WINTER sun, and protection from wind). I have mine on the side of the house in dappled sun and it flowers every April. I have C. japonica but I've heard C. susanqua is even cold hardier. I do see japonica being sold commonly (in the Spring) at a number of local Garden Centers and HD's. PS., They love acid soils so save those coffee grounds.