Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisonn_gw

Crazy mild winter, eh?

alisonn
17 years ago

I was out raking leaves and chopping down tree/shrub thingies today. Stuff I didn't think I'd get to until spring, but it was beautiful today.

What kind of havoc will this mild winter wreak on our gardens, do you think?

Comments (19)

• bogturtle
    17 years ago

Scary, with all the evidence for global warming. Most noteworthy here, is the almost complete bloom on the Jasminium nudiflorum, that should bloom here in Feb. However, near the ocean here, really cold weather usually sets in around the middle of January and Spring is severly delayed, even later than zone 6, inland. The cold period plants need to act normal will probably be more than adequate so I don't expect anything weird next Spring or Summer.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

We've had them before. I remember having a BBQ in February quite a few years back. Sometimes this weather ruins some of my early spring bloomers by causing them to break dormancy, then freezing the buds again. It also gives the squirrels more time to find all my bulbs.

As far as global warming...talk to my SIL who spent more than 24 hours stuck at Denver Airport.

• steve_nj
    17 years ago

Camellia sasanqua and Aster caroliniana are flowering. Today I saw first snowdrops and Camellia japonica 'Professor Sargent' flowers.

• birdgardner
    17 years ago

Chimonanthus praecox, wintersweet, is in full bloom and smells delicious - it usually waits until mid to late January and opens only a few flowers at a time.

Full winter with hard frozen ground, has been coming later, but it always has gotten here by January so we shall see.

It's been ten years or so since the robins started staying in flocks - now an all season bird and not a sign of spring.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Winter jasmine is in full bloom here too. A white hellebore I bought this year (Sunshine hybrid) has a big white bud developing. I've seen snowdrops in other people's garden but not mine yet.

• birdgardner
    17 years ago

Heritage rose has buds on it - saw a blossom on my neighbor's vinca. I'm going to pick a New Year's bouquet - roses and wintersweet. Unreal.

• User
    17 years ago

Unreal is the word for it. Autumn cherry in full bloom, flocks of blue jays in the yard (formerally a more southern bird), evergreen iris, new late December growth on my Japanese fan palm (planted in the ground), swarms of insects. Don't get me wrong, I love the mild weather and hate arctic cold. Just wondering when global warming deniers are ready to concede the reality of the situation. I anticipated this several years ago, so as my northern magnolias died out, I planted southern (evergreen) ones. They are taking over!

• carlanne
    17 years ago

We just returned from a short trip to Maine and found the Early Sensation Daffodils in full bloom! I had them bloom late January the first year I planted them, and then March, and usually late February. But December! It is still mild here, and I am glad since my camellia, Winter Fire is blooming well without buds and flowers being spoiled.

• birdgardner
    17 years ago

I don't know, Oasis, we always had winter bluejays when I was growing up in Union Co. And sometimes birds move north without climate change being a factor (mockingbirds and cardinals started over-wintering mid-century). But the robins are new.

• weedwoman
    17 years ago

According to the Arbor Day Foundation's new hardiness map, my part of NE NJ has moved up a climate zone, from 6 to 7. Scary. I don't like the cold, but...

Arbor Day Society Zone map

WW

• mucknmire
    17 years ago

Driving through West Windsor township yesterday we came upon a plum tree in full bloom! Never have seen that before. This does not bode well. The climate is changing much too quickly.

• hunt4carl
    17 years ago

At least the mild weather means I'm getting all kinds of
    hardscaping and construction projects done BEFORE next
    Spring, which should really take the pressure off then -
    I'll be able to visit more gardens and nurseries !!

Discovered a bag of overlooked daffodils in the shed today,
    and with still workable soil, decided to plant them. . .
    but as I'm digging away, I glanced nearby and saw that all
    my other daffs are already pushing through ! That's not
    going to work too well. . .oh, well, the older I get, the
    easier I find it to just sit back and watch the garden evolve in it's own way. . .

Carl

• agardenstateof_mind
    17 years ago

While I'm concerned about my plants breaking dormancy early, this mild weather doesn't exacerbate global warming concerns. I'm not a scientist, but based on several readings, including an excellent article in the Wall Street Journal, my understanding is that global warming will actually result in cooler temperatures here in the northeast. The projected scenario is that the continued melting of the polar ice caps due to global warming will release fresh water into the oceans, which will force the salty (and heavier) Gulf Stream current deeper into the ocean waters, thus depriving us of its warming benefits.

BTW, that WSJ article not only looked at the causes, but was a very interesting ... and, indeed, somewhat frightening ... look at the profound changes the world's peoples could face - socially, politically, economically - as areas suitable for habitation, agriculture and industry shift.

Though this is the mildest I can recall, we have had mild winters in the past (occasionally I find new growth on last year's old, brown snapdragon stalks). The harshest months, January and February, are still ahead ... we'll have to wait and see what they bring. In the meantime, I'll have to admit, I'm lovin' this mild weather ... heathers and snowdrops are blooming, hellebores and daffodils on the way ... but I'm sure glad I didn't discard the protective teepee I made last year for my over-eager tree peony.

Wishing all a happy and healthy 2007.

• pontesmanny
    17 years ago

Yes, Camellia japonica "Spring Promise" started blooming Dec 29 just as "Snow Flurry was ending. Very nice!

Manny

• last1earth
    17 years ago

Hi guys, I read just this morning. This IS NOT Global Warming. Apparently, the jet stream has stalled up north rather than dipping down furthur South like normal. This is keeping the Artic air in the north, and weathermen predict is won't last for long. We may get snow in February.

• Birdsong72
    17 years ago

It's called El Nino. Happens every 8-10 years I believe. When you get storm systems sweeping in off of the Pineapple Express and smacking No. CA/Pacif NW, the weather systems run zonally across the continental US, keeping colder air to the north.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

I finally got a snowdrop! Yeah!
    I bought snowdrops originally because they are suppose to be so early but I find only one of them are. The rest wait for spring. What's up with that?
    I have to go check out the prunus mume at the arboretums. This must be a good year for them.

• mprats
    17 years ago

My neighbor's quince was in bloom this weekend. Crazy.

• dbnj
    17 years ago

This afternoon we saw so many "Robins" in our neighborhood that we lost count...meanwhile, the "Cardinals" are eating constantly from our feeder that we can't keep up! So I give up...is it Winter or Spring in NJ...

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!