Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njsteve_zone_six

Wild Parrots in the Garden in New Jersey

njsteve_zone_six
18 years ago

Hello all,

How neet would it be to see Wild Quaker Parrots in you garden, like the people in Edgewater New Jersey see.

Seem's that they have lived there for the last 38 yrs. and might have been from a case of parrots in for the pet trade that have broken open in 1967 at Kennedy Airport, and taken up residence in Brooklyn NY, Conneticut, and Edgewater NJ.

They are killing them in Conn. and Jersey also euthanizes the ones they catch.

Why because they said in the 60's they would destroy fruit crops and multiply out of control. 38 yrs later they are still in Edgewater and there population is keept in check by Falcons and Hawks and have not populated out of control like predicted by the state.

If you would like to find out more about them go to

www.edgewaterparrots.com All one word and look for the link to sign the online petiton to stop them from euthanizing the beautiful little parrots that are about the size of a robin or bluejay.

your signature and suport is needed to save these little treasure's as NJ will vote on their flock of wild parrots soon.

new jersey we need your signature more than anyone else's but please by all means pass this on to anyone

who wil sign.

Comments (10)

• steve_nj
    18 years ago

I say throw them in the stew!!!

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Would you like that with or without the bear?

Thanks for the link NJSTEVE ZONE 6. I never heard of these parrots before. Cute little guys.

• Kathy
    18 years ago

Quakers are great little parrots -- good talkers, affectionate. Unfortunately, they're illegal to own or sell in NJ. It's a shame, because they're not the danger to the environment people would have you think.

• Datdog
    18 years ago

I'd love to see them and I'd welcome them in my yard. Thanks for posting the link.

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

I've been to Edgewater, and those birds are a pretty noisy bunch. I went to a softball game there, last fall, and while everyone else was looking at the game, I was watching the birds ;)

They've also been spotted in Leonia, but I don't know if they're nesting there yet. It's pretty close to Edgewater. I believe I've already signed the petition.

• njsteve_zone_six
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HELLO ALL,
    THE QUAKERS IN EDGEWATERS BILL PASSED.
    THAT WAS THE 1ST STEP. THEY WON'T BECOME LEGAL BUT
    IF IT BECOMES LAW WHICH WILL TAKE A FEW MORE STEPS
    THEY WILL GO TO SANCUTUARY INSTEAD OF BEING EUTHANIZED.
    AMERICA SUCCEEDED IN WIPING OUT THE CAROLINA PARAKEET WHICH WAS A SMALL PARROT A LITTLE BIGGER THAN THE QUAKER AND RANGED FROM FL. TO NY. AND OUT MIDWEST TO MICHIGAN.
    BACK TO THE QUAKERS. THEY ARE A SMART LITTLE BIRD, THEY MAKE A COMMUNITY NEST AND LIVE IN IT YEAR ROUND UNLIKE ANY OTHER PARROTS KNOWN. THEY HAVE A 2 CHAMBER NEST THE REAR CHAMBER FOR THE BABIES AND THE FRONT CHAMBER FOR THE TEENS. THIS IS HOW THEY SURVIVE THE WINTER BY KEEPING THE FAMILY TOGETHER FOR BODY HEAT.
    THE SMART ONES BUILD THEIR COMMUNITY NEST BY THE ELECTRICAL TRANSFORMERS ON THE POWER POLES. THAT WHY THEIR NESTS ARE DESTROYED IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER. HOPING THAT THE BIRDS WILL FREEZE TO DEATH AND BE LESS OF A NUISANCE IN THE FUTURE. THEN THE SPRING BRINGS ANOTHER NEST TEARDOWN
    WITH YOUNG IN THE NEST. IF THE BILL PASSES THEY WILL GO TO SANCUTARY. THEY DO NOT DESTROY CROPS OR COMPETE FOR FOOD FROM THE WILD AS ONCE THOUGHT BY THE STATE. THEY SURVIVE FROM THE BACK YARD FEEDERS.
    GO SEE THEM AT THE CORNER OF RIVER RD. AND ROUTE 5 IN EDGEWATER NJ JUST LOOK UP IN THE TREES IN THE PARK AND GET SOME ITALIAN PASTRIES OR PIZZA ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE PARK. THEY HAVE BEEN THEIR FOR THE LAST 30 YRS. AND HAVE EXPLODED IN POPULATION AS ONCE PREDICTED.
    THANK TO ALL WHO SIGNED AND HAVE A GREAT GROWING SEASON.

NJSTEVE_ZONE_SIX

• njsteve_zone_six
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HELLO ALL ONCE AGAIN
    I DID MEAN TO SAY THAT THE QUAKERS HAVE NOT AND I REPEAT HAVE NOT EXPLODED IN POPULATION AS ONCE THOUGHT BY THE STATE. SORRY FOR THE WRONG CHOICE OF WORDS IT WAS LATE.
    THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL WHO HELPED AND THE BILL NOW HAVS A SPONSOR.
    HAVE A GREAT GROWING SEASON GOTTA LOVE THE WARM WEATHER
    THINGS ARE STARTING TO GROW.

NJSTEVE_ZONE_SIX

• tonyb416
    18 years ago

Does your Web site work -- this doesn't appear to be working: http://www.edgewaterparrots.com/ ?

• njsteve_zone_six
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hello tony,
    some time the site is down for updating.
    it is no my site but give it a try now and then and i'm sure you will get to view it.
    the pictures are great.
    go to www.edgewaterparrots.com

its all one word.

enjoy steve.

• kramer_lenore_gmail_com
    13 years ago

On December 17th I saw two beautiful wild parrots at my bird feeder in the backyard in Englewood, NJ
    They were so beautiful.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths