Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Started my tomato seeds - Anyone interested ?

Posted by readheads West Caldwell, NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 29, 09 at 20:40

I planted my 2010 tomatoes tonight (Day 0):

Green Giant
Big Beef
Prudens Purple
Black Krim
Aunt Gerties Gold
Anna Russian
Orange Russian 117
Italian Heirloom
Beefsteak Heirloom
Ukranian Heart

I planted a total of 102 seeds and plan to put 30 in my garden according my 2009 schedule.

If anyone in my area would like some let me know and I'll feed back (they will be ready April 1st, 3-4 foot tall with tomatoes) ?

Last year:

Planted seeds New Years Eve
First flower = 60 days
First tomato (pea size) = 90 days
Planted outside Tax Day = 108 days (4/18/09)
First red tomato Memorial Day = 150 days (5/31/09)
Picked #100 on day 200

Total 2009 harvest = ~500 tomatoes from 25 plants

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Started my tomato seeds - Anyone interested ?

HI May I have some pls? I am in Parsippany and I had a terrible crop last year. maybe better luch with your plans.

o

Sure thing tweetytweety. They are now 20 days old and about 2 inches tall. My Email is: tmorgan99@verizon.net

They should be ready by the end of march. You can come and see them anytime if you want. Send me an Email.

o

I am interested.
Im in Gloucester county, a recent transplant from Philadelphia.
Its my first growing season in my new digs so I need all the help I can get!

Cheers!
Susie

o

Wow I cannot believe you plant out that early. I am in Hamburg, Sussex County, and I planted out around May 20th last year. Not sure about where you are but I remember having a frost scare around Memorial Day! I'd love to know your secrets, which I'm sure you have quite a few. How do you plant out so early, and how do you manage growing indoors for so long? I am probably going to start mine on Weds when we get whacked by another storm,

o

I am very interested in a few tomato plants. I live in Denville and have a plot in a community garden. For the first time, I am starting a few tomato, pepper and eggplant seeds under a 2-foot grow light and plan to wait until mid-March to start the tomatoes. I am also trying winter sowing for the first time and will put out my tomato seeds also in mid-March.

o

sorry readheads, this is little off topic.

Hi kathy_nj,
I am also interested in community gardening. Could you please give info on whom should I contact to check if we have community gardening in Parsippany?
I would deeply appreciate your response.

Thanks in advance
Anna

o

Hi,
I'd be interested in any that you can spare. I will be planting in my community garden plot in April.
Thanks,

o

Hi Anna,

Just call the Recreation Department in your Town Hall. They will be able to tell you if Parsippany has a community garden.

Kathy

o

Thanks Kathy. I did call, got a 10x20 plot, now getting started with rest of the things.

o

Do you still have tomato plants to share?

Kathy

o

Hi
Do you have any tomato plants?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here